It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Chapter 8, Page 24, Book 13




Here I am with my 3 youngest grandchildren


AN AUTHENTIC LIFE 

Fear is perhaps the greatest enemy of candour. How many men fear to follow their consciences because they would rather conform to the opinion of other men than to the truth they know in their souls? How can I be sincere if am constantly changing my mind to conform with the shadow of what I think others expect of me? Others have no right to demand that I be anything other than what I ought to be in the sight of God.

Thomas Merton 

The pursuit of wealth and the energy that our lifestyle choices require often distracts us from what truly matters in our lives.   Too often we are like overburdened camels. We are the cluttered, the preoccupied, too busy to attend to what is important.   Encumbered with hollow values telling us how to behave, what to buy, it seems we loose our focus.  And I think sometimes, we are afraid to be ourselves and not like everyone else.

The treasures and values of this world are not a true measure of our worth. I am very thankful for those who love us for who we are, not for our possessions or popularity.

I've found we need have the courage to be honest with ourselves and the strength to endure. If we can be honest about who we are and hang on a blessing will come.

...there are really only as many days left as you actually really live.

Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts

When I find myself in  unhappy circumstances, I need to remember not to give up or give in, I do  have the power to change the direction of my life.  If we don't live our own life, others will live it for us.

Take stock of what you have in your life. Instead of focusing on what you don’t have, put your attention to the rewards you have already received and those that are all around you waiting to be appreciated.

The art of really celebrating life isn’t about getting it right in others eyes …just as making a home is not about making perfection, but filling it with love.

 
Allow yourself to feel the wonder, to drink in the beauty and to experience the special time and place where you are. Life is always special, so live it accordingly.
 Ralph Marston

6 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

What a lovely photo of you and your grandchildren. Happiness abounds.

Carol Z said...

The picture is adorable. What cuties! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Chatty Crone said...

..there are really only as many days left as you actually really live.

Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts
I read that book and it was great.

jack69 said...

Great advice from beginning to the end. Also You have a beautiful arm full!!!

I am betting they love Grandma!

Rose said...

Grandma looks happy surrounded by her grandchildren! That is a photo to treasure.

Hugs, Rose

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful photo of you and your grandchildren. Hugs