It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chapter 8, Page 11, Book 13


TRAVEL LOG - ENTRY #3

The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  

G.K. Chesterton





Here the country side changes to rolling pastures. West of Mansfield the road parallels the Pennsylvania Railroad and allows a traveler to see vast farms and several grain harvest elevator towns that grew with the railroads and thrived beside the Lincoln Highway



Malabar Farm, which is located just outside of Mansfield Ohio, was built by Pulitzer Prize winning author Louis Bromfield. A best-selling writer in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, Bromfield was also a pioneer in sustainable farming. He created one of the country's first truly organic farms at Malabar. The 32 room house/mansion was the site of Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart's wedding and honeymoon as well as featured in the movie Shawshank Redemption.





They sold their own meats, honey and jelly at the visitor center store too.





I was absolutely enthralled by mansion at Malabar farm so for today I'm going to be sharing pictures that were taken while visiting there.  We ventured a little south off of the Lincoln Highway to do this because we'd never been there and I'm glad we did.



The outside of the house has been completely striped down as they are getting ready to paint it.  They took off years of old paint and are down to the bare wood and in many cases had to replace pieces of wood too.

I hope to get back sometime to see it restored.



This the front entry way into the house.  Not everyone has an entryway big enough to have a grand piano in it.  



At the other end of the entry way there are  stairs going up on either side.  The picture below shows both sides looking up




Because we wanted to complete the Ohio portion  Lincoln Highway we only took the house tour, but the farm tour would have been nice too.  Malabar Farm is now considered a state park and has over 900 acres.  It is open to the public for a small fee you can take the tours.



This is a picture of the telephone room which was just to the right of the front door.  In those days party lines were all the rage and I'm thinking this little room was often a source of entertainment



One of the many bedrooms



There was an original Grandma Moses painting hanging on the wall.  All the furnishings and decor were left as it was at the time that Louis Bromfield lived there.  

It made you feel just like you were truly visiting a friend.  Sorry to say I never knew of him before my visit,  but he wrote many books and screenplays in his time and was quite famous.  




Here is a picture of Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart when they were married at Malabar Farm.  Humphrey was a long standing friend of Louis Bromfield.  



The picture below is of the honeymoon suite they stayed in their at the farm the night after they married.




Of course since I collect them, I had to include a picture of this beautiful rooster that sat on the buffet in the dining room.  He was one of a pair.  It was said that Bromfield had spent considerable time in France before setting in at Malabar Farm, so I can quite imagine that this was something he brought home with him from there.  





The guide that gave the tour told many stories of the family and the things they did.  They loved to entertain and often had over 45 guests at a time. 





We exited the house through the kitchen and I took a picture of the stove which was original to the house as was most everything.  I would love to have a stove with 6 burners, but then I don't entertain like these people did all the time either.


I'll continue with more pictures of the Lincoln By Way and the buy way tomorrow.



Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.  

Benjamin Disraeli

6 comments:

jack69 said...

You do a great travel logue. I like the treatment of the pictures. It is nice to travel with someone else where we have never been.
Wow that is a big mansion. Shawshank Redemption is my favorite all time movie. Now the next time I watch it I will pay attention.
Thanks for the trip.
((HUGS)) from near Dayton.

jack69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

What a great tour you gave. I really love that quote!

Chatty Crone said...

It is nice to travel with you - now when did you go to Ohio? I love movie star things. I love roosters too.

So do you think there is a different between tourists and travelers?

JeanJournal said...

Thanks for sharing your TRAVELING. Ma I am getting to feel like traveling. What a lovely way to change the direction of your life for awhile and as ROY ROGERS always said ... HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU dear lady. Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE this tour of the Lincoln Hwy. 900 acres is quite some place. I love Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart.