It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, July 15, 2013

Chapter 7, Page 15, Book 13


Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
What would life be like without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love and home grown tomatoes.

John Denver, Home Grown Tomatoes




Specially blended for taste...

One of the many things I love about summer is fresh vegetables.  We are blessed to have several road side vegetable stands in our area and I got to venture out and buy some the other day.   Oh my how good everything is.  I got a taste of my first locally grown tomato and some fresh corn on the cob.  I also got some cucumbers, some squash and some cabbage.  

I make meals out of vegetables alone.  I could do this other times of the year too, but in the summer everything tastes best fresh from the garden.  I haven't had a garden of my own in a long time, but I like to visit the roadside stands and enjoy what others gardens are producing.  

Even with all the rain we've had the farmers seem to be doing pretty good.  They say we need some dryer weather now for the growing season here, we'll see.  This week we're having a heat wave of sorts with temps going up up up .Looks like I'll be enjoying the porch where the shade is rather than my back patio.  


It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato. 

Lewis Grizzard

7 comments:

linda m said...

I love fresh home grown veggies. This is the first year I haven't put in any. I'm glad I didn't because due to the bad weather I probably wouldn't have much of a garden anyway. Blessings

TARYTERRE said...

Fresh veggies are the best. DELICIOUS for sure.

Sr. Ann Marie said...

One of my favorites is corn on the cob--but I live with several people who can't eat it. Also love lima beans!

Barbara said...

Fresh home grown tomatoes - nothing to beat them.Memories of John Denver, he was my favourite.

Chatty Crone said...

I would love it do that - eat veggies - but no one else will do it with me! sandie

Carol Z said...

So true about love and tomatoes. There is lots of local produce and I'm loving the blueberries.

jack69 said...

Never heard that quote by Grizzard, but I believe he has something there. I am hoping to run into some home grown tomatoes on the side of the road here in Utah.
Honestly the best tomatoes I have had in years were from a farmer in South east Michigan, just above South Bend Ind. They were SOOOOOO good I still remember them WELL.

Great entry idea and thoughts....