It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chapter 6, Page 26, Book 13



Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.

 Sam Keen

Specially blended for easy living...

Now that summer has officially arrived, it's time to talk about how we can justify being lazy.  I'm definitely lazy when it comes to cooking in the summer.  I rarely turn the stove on.  Salads and sandwiches, fresh fruits and veggies make up my menu for the most part.

What I look for in the summertime is anything easy.  I may grill some chicken or a hot dog but my cooking is very limited.   Summer time and the living is easy so the song goes…

Years ago, summer was the start of putting food up for the long winter months ahead. As produce was ready in the garden or berries were ripe in the wild patches, our grandparents continued to harvest. The smokehouse would be working overtime to cure meat for winter storage and the large crockery pot would have the sauerkraut curing. 

It was also a time for socializing. People would travel miles to help raise a barn, attend a dance or a community potluck social and help out in an emergency. Everyone brought news and new recipes to share.

Though I don't put food up for winter or even have a garden here,  I do have an easy summer recipe to share with you all today.

Romaine Salad with Chicken and Pasta

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
 Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
8 ounces dried bow-tie (farfalle) pasta
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 small head romaine lettuce, trimmed or outer leaves, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the grill or broiler.

Lightly salt and pepper the chicken, then drizzle with 1 to 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Grill or broil the chicken, browning on both sides, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. (The cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts.) Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-size strips or chunks. Set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare the pasta. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until it is al dente -- done but still a little firm to the bite. Drain the pasta in a colander, rinse with cold water until the pasta is completely cool and drain again until it is free of excess water. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the mustard, vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Add the remaining oil in a steady stream, whisking to combine.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, pasta, lettuce, the dressing and all but 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Transfer the salad to a shallow serving dish or pan and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan on top. Serve immediately, or cover tightly and refrigerate up to 1 day.

A salad with thick slice of crusty bread and some butter...  Now that is what I call easy living...

7 comments:

linda m said...

The salad sounds good. Blessings

jack69 said...

Sounds like a meal fit for a king. Good stuff.
The rest of the entry caused a lot of recollections, of summer past. Mama preparing for winter. I stlll read the girls in Wisconsin still preparing for the winter, canning and cutting wood. They also seem to be loving life.
((HUGS))

Hollie said...

I agree about not cooking on the stove much! It's just too hot!! I'd rather grill something or have a sandwich!!

JeanJournal said...

I cook very little at my house ~ winter or summer ~ and sandwiches suit me to a tea most of the time ~ or I open a can of beef stew or Cmpbells soup ~ Are we lazy??? IN THE SUMMERTIME? ~ Maybe?? ~ AH! ~ I Ihink we can take it easy when we want to. ~ Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun

Barb said...

I am LAZY in the summertime and don't apologize for it. Love nothing better than feasting on salads, fruits and burgers on a grill. Stew is good and sometimes soup too. I have always just enjoyed relaxing in summer; think most people look forward to doing that. Thanks for the awesome recipe. Thanks too for always taking time to visit my blog and support me, Ma. Love you so much.

TARYTERRE said...

I like you like the lazy, hazy days of summer. GREAT recipe.

Chatty Crone said...

I love chicken salad. And can we be lazy in the summer?