It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Chapter 6, Page 1, Book 13




Be like the flower, turn your faces to the sun.

Kahlil Gibran

It’s that time of year again.  When we turn to outdoor living, enjoying those summer breezes.  I’ve always been an outdoor girl and having a pretty spot to land is so enjoyable this time of year.  For the past few years I enjoyed nature and being outside at my camper in the woods.  Sadly my camping days are gone and the camper is sold.  

Memories of my little place in the woods are a thing of the past.  I camped along with my DD and DSIL and DS#1 and his family.  They had campers right beside me and it was a wonderful time of family sharing and togetherness.  Due to changes in their lifestyles, mostly time, they decided to quit camping and that forced me into quitting it too.  

In an effort to create my own outdoor oasis here at home this year, I'm going to try making my front porch, and my back patio too, places I can enjoy and be outside.  I live on a city street and although I do have a nice little backyard, privacy is at a premium.  Front porches are an icon of American summer time living.   The front porch offers shade and cooling summer breezes while my back patio offers sunshine and warmth.  The porch is covered and I can sit and enjoy the outdoors even when it's raining, provided it's warm out.  The back patio has little shelter from the rain or sun and while you can really soak up the rays there, it's not a place you want to be when it's raining.

Inspired by some tags I found on my tea bags, I decided to change things around a bit on my blog and instead of Today's Word, I'll be sharing my cup of tea…specially blended for days on the porch.  I'm not advertising any special brand, but the Luzianne tea is the one I'm using right now.  On each tea bag there is a tag saying things like…specially blended for days off or for tall tales.  Others say for sitting on the dock or for Sunday afternoons.    I've been collecting these tags for a while now and each day I'll be picking one and blogging about the title.  I'll be adding my own tags too.  There really aren't that many on the tea bag tags so I'll make up some of my own along the way.

This time of year my cup of tea is more of a glass of iced tea.  I love sweet tea and find it more refreshing than most any other drink in the summer time.  I do love lemonade too, so every now and then I might include something about lemons just to shake things up a bit.  

The days from June until early October are usually when we have the nicest weather here.  They are the days to sit on the porch and sip some tea.  Hopefully you'll be joining  me each day to see just what my tea bag says.  

Spring being a tough act to follow,
God created June.

Al Bernstein 

3 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

You are so lucky to have a covered porch. I am with you drinking tea and enjoying the view from home. I know it's not the same as camping, but it will be enjoyable too. Looking forward to your new approach on the blog.

jack69 said...

Looking forward to the entries.
Oh and like many Americans, great memories of front porches, both ours and friend's.
SWEET

Rose said...

Enjoy the warmer weather.