It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chapter 5, Page 16, Book 13



There was a man who was walking down a dark street one night when he saw a faltering pinpoint of light coming toward him. He thought perhaps the person carrying the light was ill, but as he drew nearer he could see a man with a flashlight carrying a white cane.

Why would a blind man be carrying a light? the man wondered. And so he asked.

The blind man smiled. I carry my light, not so I can see, but so that OTHERS can see me. I cannot help being blind, he said, but I can help being a stumbling block.

TODAY'S WORD:

Beaming

To radiate light; shine.
To express by means of a radiant smile


This is an approach to life that is completely out of step with our modern way of looking at things. Our modern attitude is -- I'm looking out for me.  Most of the time, a stumbling block refers to something or someone that keeps another from doing something they want to do or should do.  

A motel chain once had a series of commercials that ended with the reassuring words, We’ll leave the light on for you.  My mother used to say the same thing to me.  Its warm beams seemed to say, This is where you belong. Someone loves you here. You are home

Sometimes it is our words and attitudes that do just that.  A beam is something to guide or communicate with.  We all radiate some kind of light to others and we just never know who might be watching.  I want others to see my cheerful smile and be encouraged, not discouraged.  I know that because it’s so easy to be discouraged, it helps to have someone to cheer us on.

We never know when something we say or do could wound another person.   Although it might take a bit of an attitude adjustment,  it is always better to be like a shiny pebble in a brook, rather than a stumbling stone.  

All of us can shine brightly, smile warmly, glow with happiness if we choose to.  

The problem is not the problem.
The problem is your attitude about the problem.

 Captain Jack Sparrow


6 comments:

linda m said...

Love your quote from Captain Jack Sparrow!! Have a great day. Blessings

jack69 said...

Oh how I love the person who is BEAMING! Lifts your life and mood.

There is something special about a light beaming across the waves at night on a ship. Even if the light is on the distant horizon, you feel kinship.
Love the captains thought!

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a good message for today. When I miss a few of your entries, the one I come back to always seems to be directed right at me. Thank you.

Chatty Crone said...

It feels good to be under a beam of light. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

I love sunbeams. The warmth they spread brings comfort.

Barbara said...

What a good analogy.