It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Chapter 5, Page 11, Book 13




Having a routine, knowing what to do, gives me a sense of freedom, keeps me from going crazy.  It is calming.

Chuck Close


TODAY'S WORD:

Calm 

Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other emotions.

The absence of violent or confrontational activity within a place or group.

Make someone tranquil and quiet; soothe

I have a daily morning routine, I like to get up early, sip my good cup of coffee, read my daily devotions and post my blog every morning.

Even when I'm away from home, I try to stick to the same routine.  If for some reason I am unable to start off my day with my usual routine, nothing seems to go right for me the rest of the day and  is anything but calm.  I like to sit in silence and watch the sun rise.  It has a very calming effect on me.  It's the same with a sunset, it seems the perfect ending for each day.

At some point in every day I'll work on my gratitude list.  Being thankful for all the things I've been blessed with each day.  I’ve found that this little ritual has so much power that it makes me happier and more compassionate.  When I need to calm down, I always count my blessings.  There's nothing like it for chasing away the cares of the day.

Reading is also a part of my daily routine.  There is nothing like a good book to take your mind off pressing matters.  It's something I do every day.  I'll often take my book with me and sit on the patio when it's nice out and I always read before going to sleep every night.

While morning is an ideal time for our routines / rituals, other ideal times are after work and before bed, and really, any time that works for you is good.


Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Michael Caine

4 comments:

linda m said...

I too try to start my day out with a cup of coffee, staring out the window and working on my gratitude list. Yes, it is very calming. I also find I need a routine now at my age more so than ever before. Varying from my routine seems to make me very anxious. Thanks for a good post.

jack69 said...

I like CALM. I am laughing hard at the picture.

I feel like that sometime.

((HUGS))

Rose said...

I too, start my day sitting in my patio sipping on my coffee and listening the world waking up with the birds singing and cars starting and people off to their routines of the day.

I also love to read a good book. I'm almost thru reading Jack Darnell's new book. He is amazing!

TARYTERRE said...

I agree with you. I think rituals and daily routines help a person stay calm and less stressed.