It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Chapter 4, Page 9, Book 13



My newest little granddaughter - AB getting her first taste of cereal.


What the mother sings to the cradle goes all the way down to the coffin

Henry Ward Beecher


WORD FOR TODAY:
Teach 

Show or explain to someone how to do something

Instruct, train, educate


DS#5 with his son

I had some great teachers in my life, and I hope that I was able to be a good teacher too. Parents are the very first teachers to their children.  I've had plenty of experience at being a parent and it's a job that never ends.   I do believe that most of what we teach is not in words but by our actions.  Children often learn more by what you do than what you tell them to do.

Having grown children now, I am able to see that much of what I taught has stayed with them.  I see it in the way they are teaching their children too.  Although they are far from perfict they are all loving and caring individuals.  

I often wish I could have been as good of a teacher as my grandmother was.  She taught me so much about life.  Her wisdom endures in my heart.  I'm not always as thoughtful and kind as she was.  I'm not the patient quiet person that she was either.  

She was in truth a teacher, she taught school children for many years.  I even went to school with her a few times.  

She lived in a rural community at the time when one room school houses were popular.  The children that went to these walked to school.  They brought their lunch in old lard pails.  They were farm children for the most part, but you know they were the smartest kids I ever knew.  They wanted to be in school and they had a good teacher.  

I'm sure that much of what she taught continues to live in many lives today.  Not just mine, but to all those she taught.

No man can be a good teacher unless he has feelings of warm affection toward his pupils and a genuine desire to impart to them what he believes to be of value.

Bertrand Russell

5 comments:

linda m said...

Being a good example for our children and "teaching" them is so important. Blessings

TARYTERRE said...

Teaching furthers learning. And wisdom is what keeps the world going round.

TARYTERRE said...

PS) Your grandchildren are precious.

jack69 said...

I had two great teachers in School and many outside. Ones that I still remember and practice what I was taught.

To teach, what a great thing.

Chatty Crone said...

I think teaching is something that is really important - and to have love and skills behind it. sandie