It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chapter 4, Page 24, Book 13




Would that there were an award for people who come to understand the concept of enough.  Good enough.  Successful enough.  Thin enough.  Rich enough.  Socially responsible enough.  When you have self-respect, you have enough.  

Gail Sheehy


TODAY'S WORD

Enough 

As much or as many as required.

My oldest son recently had a large storage shed built to hold all the things that he and his family have that no longer fit into his garage and the small shed he had in his yard.  Outdoor toys, garden implements, Christmas lights etc. had accumulated to the point that they needed more storage.

There are days that I think it would be nice if I had the room to have a storage shed in my yard.  But it's a small space and what is there I want to have for grass and flowers so I can enjoy it.  Meanwhile the attic and the basement will have to serve as my storage space.  I've whittled things down a bit but there is still a lot there.  

In what I call the living space of my house, I really have everything I need in order to live.  The accumulated stuff in the storage rooms are over and beyond what is needed, yet I continue to hang on to them.

At some point I really need to say enough is enough. I don't think I'm being greedy by keeping what I have.  The stuff I have would not make a difference in anyone's life if I were to give it away.  But just how much of what I have, do I really need?

I really do have enough of everything and it's taken me a few years to realize just how blessed I am.


Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.  

Mohandas K. Gandhi


6 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

The expression enough is enough applies here in my life. I've accumulated more than my share of knicknacs. Don't know what to do with them all.

peggy said...

my mother would always say, I should do something with it, but it isn't eating anything. I tend to like people who collect AND those who put something new on the curb every week to discard are admired for being able to do that.

linda m said...

I have to admit that I have more than enough "stuff" I want to start down sizing but my husband isn't ready yet to start parting ways with some of his stuff. Enough is enough. Blessings

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I still have boxes that need to be unpacked !! The big move was 7 years ago...maybe i'll just leave them boxed for the next generation..

jack69 said...

This one is soooo good. I remember reading somewhere one family always "wished the others 'Enough'." I like the first and last QUOTEs, they hit chords. SWEET!

Chatty Crone said...

A good one today and deep thinking... what is enough and doesn't everyone have there own definition of enough. And it is hard to know what to hold and what to let go of. sandie