It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, April 19, 2013

Chapter 4, Page 19, Book 13




Everybody ought to do at least two things each day that he hates to do, just for practice. 

William James

WORD FOR TODAY

Practice 

repeated performance or systematic exercise for the purpose ofacquiring skill or proficiency: Practice makes perfect.

I don't excel in very many things, but I do know that the things I'm good at took a lot of practice.  I have great sympathy for those that I practiced on in the process.

I remember the time I took a cake decorating class and practiced making roses out of buttercream frosting .  I made dozens of flowery treats which my family were forced to eat.   We couldn't let them go to waste, could we?  

When I learned to use a typewriter, it took hours and hours of practice before I knew the keyboard by heart. I had to do a lot practicing before I picked up some speed too.

 It's easy to forget, or sometimes, not even see, how fortunate we are to have all that we do in our lives. For that reason, I practice an attitude of gratitude.

Being grateful for everything in my life hasn't been easy.  There have been some things that I've found it down right hard to be thankful for.  

Being consciously grateful is essential to a happy life. It keeps you positive and optimistic, which are two of the most important things you can be. Never forget that you get what you give, and being a positive person will bring more positive people, events and opportunities into your life. 

Life is mostly trial and error.  If we had given up in the face of failure, repetition, and difficulty, we would never have learned to walk or tie our shoes.  Getting to the point where we feel we our practice is paying off takes a lot of work, but it is worth it in the end.  


Don't let your dreams go up in smoke - practice fire safety. 


Author Unknown 

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Can't argue with the phrase, "Practice makes Perfect." So true. Bet that buttercreme frosting was delicious and the flowers beautiful.

jack69 said...

You express many of our life's experiences. Especially the typewriter. There was a time when perfection was required, so the PRACTICE was definitely a must.
Now with the word processors the typing 'perfection' is not required, so I get a little sloppy, that should not be.
VERY GOOD entry. enjoyed the read.

Chatty Crone said...

That is exactly what I tell my grandson - you have to practice to get good at something. And some times like in these times - you have to practice being happy when things are so sad. sandie

Linda said...

I needed this boost! Now I will go BACK out to those flower beds and practice being a gardener!