It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, April 15, 2013

Chapter 4, Page 15, Book 13




 A story about a reed and an oak, urging us not to rely on strength alone. 

A reed got into an argument with an oak tree. The oak tree marvelled at her own strength, boasting that she could stand her own in a battle against the winds. Meanwhile, she condemned the reed for being weak, since he was naturally inclined to yield to every breeze. The wind then began to blow very fiercely. The oak tree was torn up by her roots and toppled over, while the reed was left bent but unharmed.

Those who adapt to the times will emerge unscathed.


TODAY'S WORD:

Strength

The quality or state of being strong,

Physical power and energy

 mental power, force, or vigor.

 moral power, firmness, or courage.

I love fables and found two to share with you from Aesop today.  They teach us lessons and when put in story form, I think we understand better too.

All of my strength comes from the Lord.  I know that for sure and I also know He has put others in my life to bolster that strength along the way.  I know too, that there is strength in numbers.  I'm not half so good by myself as I am with family and friends beside me.

One of my favorite quotes about strength is that .... A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey...but a woman of strength has faith that it is in the journey that she will become strong...

A Father had a family of sons who were perpetually quarreling among themselves. When he failed to heal their disputes by his exhortations, he determined to give them a practical illustration of the evils of disunion; and for this purpose he one day told them to bring him a bundle of sticks. When they had done so, he placed the bundle into the hands of each of them in succession, and ordered them to break it in pieces. They each tried with all their strength, and were not able to do it. After this the Father ordered the bundle to be untied, and gave a single stick to each of his Sons; at the same time bidding him try to break it, which each did with all imaginable ease. He then addressed them in these words: My sons, if you are of one mind, and unite to assist each other, you will be as this bundle, uninjured by all the attempts of your enemies; but if you are divided among yourselves, you will be broken as easily as these sticks
 
In union there is strength. 

Aesop

6 comments:

jack69 said...

I appreciate fables and stories that teach logic. Strange the logic of strength must be taught when is so obvious, but it still must.
Strength a great part of character.
Have a great week.

linda m said...

Aesop's fables are some of my favorites. Blessings

Chatty Crone said...

I do think the more adaptable one is - the better their life will be. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Fables tell the story, don't they?

Linda said...

Hello! I am Linda C and I have often seen your name around the World of Blog so I decided to drop in and visit a moment!
What a lovely and thought provoking post! I do so hope and pray I have the strength of the reed. I hope to continue to grow all through every season of life - even now in the 'fall' years!
I am your newest follower!

Carol Z said...

The lesson I continually need to re-learn is to be adaptable. I keep relearning it, too! Thanks for a good reminder.