It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chapter 3, Page 20, Book 13



Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.  

Confucius

TODAY'S WORD

Knowledge 

The fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association 
I read a story about wood pecker not long ago and as they are often visitors here at our bird feeders, I found it interesting enough to share with you all.  The story not only tells a lot about woodpeckers but about knowledge too. 

The story goes that the person heard the distinct rat-a-tat of what had to be a woodpecker. They thought the bird they saw was drilling in a light pole for insects to eat. But as they watched, they discovered that the busy bird was pecking on the plastic globe of a street light.

 What a dumb bird, I thought. There would be no bugs to gain where it was pecking. After researching woodpeckers on the Internet, it was discovered that what they saw was probably a downy woodpecker whose drumming wasn’t for food but was actually a mating call and an announcement about the bird’s territory. The bird wasn’t dumb after all.  We were the ignorant ones. 

I've found that no matter how old I get there is always more to learn.  We cannot judge things due to their appearance.

5 comments:

linda m said...

Our woodpeckers seem to "peck" at the siding on the house or the rain gutters. Now I know they are calling for a mate. Thank you for enlightening me. Blessings.

Hollie said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this!! As you already know, I love, love, love birds! It's one of my hobbies watching and learning about them!!

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT story. we shouldn't be quick to jump to conclusions about anybody or anything.

jack69 said...

You said a mind full here:
I've found that no matter how old I get there is always more to learn. We cannot judge things due to their appearance....................

Not every one gains productive knowledge with age, but we all do LEARN SOMETHING. I prefer to learn not how ignorant I am, but to increase what knowledge I do have.

((HUGS)) from Yemassee SC, a little chilly, not cold....

Chatty Crone said...

You know there are three kinds of knowledge. Books, street, and the wisdom to know which one to use. sandie