It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Chapter 3, Page 13, Book 13






Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.  

World Health Organization, 1948


TODAY'S WORD

Health

The overall condition of an organism at a given time.
 Soundness, especially of body or mind; freedom from disease or abnormality.
A condition of optimal well-being


I am thankful for my health.  I am in pretty good shape, mind, body and soul.  Although I have been suffering from what is known here in northern Ohio as the Cleveland Crude, which is mainly a sinus condition that hasn't gone away completely since this past Thanksgiving.  It doesn't really make you sick, it is just a miserable feeling at times.  Stuffy, congested and coughing. It seems to go away with warmer and sunny weather.  I've had it before and don't like it at all, but I know what the cure is.  

When I think about what others suffer this is only a mild inconvenience.  Many undergo difficult treatments: grueling physical therapy, radiation and chemotherapy, special diets, etc. People who want to be healed will follow the doctor's treatment.  For me it's a matter of waiting for a change in the weather.

Thankfully, I haven't been to the doctor in years.  The little poem below says a lot about what I believe to be true.

The best six doctors anywhere
And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they'll ease
Your will they'll mend
And charge you not a shilling.
Nursery rhyme 

There are many ways to stay healthy besides going to a doctor.  I can add to the above by saying that daily Scripture reading, prayers and faith do a lot for my well being.  I think it's important to keep your mind and soul healthy too.

I'm grateful for every new, healthy day I have. It has helped me prioritize my life. 

 Olivia Newton-John

5 comments:

jack69 said...

Another good entry. We too prize our health and I have never read the little dittie of a poem, but I certainly agree with it..
((HUGS)) We are cool this morning but will warm up!!!

That corgi :) said...

That is interesting about the Cleveland Crud, Ma, it does sound like not something fun to deal with through the season. It is a blessing to have good health indeed! I just thanked God recently (and now daily) for the good health we had this past flu season; none of us got struck with it. It is something we take for granted with our health until we lose it, but I think your remedy to try to have good health is a great one!

betty

Chatty Crone said...

This is an important to me - because I really want to be as independent as long as possible. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

My husband had that crud for over a month back in January. Hope yours clears out soon. LOVE the poem.

JeanJournal said...

ILOVE the NURSERY RHYME poem~~Yes, indeed, dear ma, Being healthy & not having to go to a doctor is BEST! I have to take 2 meds since I had a stint put in after a heart attack 4 years ago. I'm the only one in my family that don't go to ~ doctors, just LIVE HAPPY! & trusting God Psalm (103:3)KJV ~ Jean(Rome Georgia girl living in Calhoun