It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chapter 2, Page 13, Book 13



Nine Requisites for Contented Living: Health enough to make work a pleasure. Wealth enough to support your needs. Strength to battle with difficulties and overcome them. Grace enough to confess your sins and forsake them. Patience enough to toil until some good isaccomplished. Charity enough to see some good in your neighbor. Love  enough to move you to be useful and helpful to others. Faith enough to make real the things of God. Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future. 

 Johann Wolgang von Goethe

Todays Word:

Content

Desiring no more than what one has; satisfied.
 Ready to accept or acquiesce; willing

When we cease making comparisons and instead willingly embrace our current lot in life, welcoming all that God will teach us through it, we will finally unearth the secret of true contentment.  It is not merely having what you want, it is wanting nothing more than what you already have.

Every now and then I do tend to dream a little but I don't think that really makes me discontented.  I'm satisfied with things as they are.  I think that if we live our lives every day so that when tomorrow comes we still feel good about life, then we are content.  

I don't think there is anything wrong with setting goals or trying to better ourselves. Life constantly changes so we too have to make changes.  If we look at what is right in our lives, then we know the things to build upon.  Counting our blessings and giving thanks is very possibly the best way I know to be content.

Teach us to number our days and recognize how few they are; help us to spend them as we should

Psalm 90:12


6 comments:

linda m said...

Very good post this morning. Blessings

jack69 said...

Some folks are content to dream! I think that is good sometimes!!!

That corgi :) said...

I like those nine requisites for contented living, but they are all so true if we just concentrated on that and were content with what we had instead of searching for more. I think we'd be a lot less stressed and anxious and a lot more joyful if we did live with contentment. Another great word Ma!

betty

Kath said...

Contentment is a great feeling and so is being Blessed.I am grateful for both.Have a great day Ma.Snowing here in my apart of England again.Brrr.Stay warm at yours.Take Care God Bless Kath XX

jack69 said...

I meant to say I love your 'fat' stick man!!!

Chatty Crone said...

I have never head that quote from Goethe. I love it.

Now why are there no fat stickmen?