It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Chapter 1, Page 3, Book 13



In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.
Christina Rossetti, A Christmas Carol

10th Day of Christmas, January 3rd

Looking out at the frosty landscape here that seems to be getting whiter as I write, I'm not a very happy camper because that means that later on I'm going to have to go out and clear the walkways and the drive of all the snow. BrrrChill!  Yet, winter does have it's compensations and celebrating Christmas is one of them.

Family time spent indoors during the winter is something we don't do much of at any other time of the year.  I think we draw closer in these times.  It's so good to come in from the cold and sit down together with a warming bowl of soup or gather round for a cheering game of monopoly.  I think we get to know each other more during these quieter days.

I don't get many opportunities to do that much any more, but when I do, I take full advantage of it.  


Heap on more wood! The wind is chill; But let it whistle as it will, We'll keep our Christmas merry still.

Walter Scott

4 comments:

linda m said...

My hubby and I love to light the fireplace at this time of year and just sit and enjoy each others company. Blessings

jack69 said...

I love the way you turn bleak days into joy! Good stuff..
Wauchula, is a small town. We like it here. We are off the beaten path and in Florida Citrus and farm country. Weather is very nice.
((Hugs))

Pat MacKenzie said...

I love the cozy days of winter when the family is together. We've always been game players and puzzle doers is the winter especially. The thing I really dislike about winter though is the shovelling and driving in the stuff. Thanks for reminding me of the good things.

That corgi :) said...

Be safe with all that snow!! I always like an evening when everyone is home and it is a bit chilly out here (not that it ever gets as chilly as your weather Ma). It is fun to put on a movie or a TV show and watch it together. I do agree, we tend to be closer in the cooler winter months.

betty