It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Chapter 11, Page 29, Book 12



Our Christmas gathering 2011


In bringing up children, spend on them half as much money and twice as much time.  

Author Unknown

#29 of 30 things I'm thankful for in November

Children

I am thankful for my children.  Each and everyone of them is special and I'm very blessed to have them all.  

Khalil Gibran is my favorite on the subject:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself….
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit,
Not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them be like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday

You need only watch a child’s free spirit for a moment to see the pure joy they hold inside. Children living in the moment, without much regard for what has happened in the past. They love openly, without restriction, and they take pleasure in every thing they do. If you have children of your own, enjoy them every chance you get because they grow for too quickly and before you know it that time is gone. If you do not have children find ways to enjoy others, or embrace the values that they live by and find a way to incorporate them into your life. You will be amazed by how much you can learn from a child if you are willing.

Even if the relationship you have with your family is not good, you should still be thankful that you have them at all. So many people throughout the world have no one at all that relates to their past, their blood, and their lives.


 A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty. 

Author Unknown

4 comments:

linda m said...

I am very thankful for my son, my daughter-in-law, and my grandson. God has blessed me. May God bless you.

jack69 said...

When I think you cannot find sweeter words, here you come.
I have never read that verse, how beautiful and insightful. I love it when someone can express exactly how I FEEL.
Thanks and the last Quote is priceless.
Looks like a beautiful day outside here. Love from here!

That corgi :) said...

So true that children do grow so quick, but they truly indeed are a blessing (and then they also provide grandchildren :)

betty

Chatty Crone said...

I copied that poem for myself - it is hard to remember that sometimes. And your right - when kids aren't close - it hurts - but I guess you at least have them. sandie