It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chapter 11, Page 21, Book 12




There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Ben Williams 

# 21 of 30 things I'm thankful for in November

 Furry Friends

I'm thankful for pets and for what they bring to our home and lives.  Here at my house I no longer have any pets.  I'm getting older and can no longer care for them as they should be cared for, but I do have a lot of them in my life.  Thanks to my children, I have grand dogs and cats.  They do bring a lot of joy into our lives.  Any time I need to pet a furry friend, all I need to do is visit one of them.

From the time of my early childhood until just a few years ago, I always had a pet or two around the house and I do miss having one.  There were many days when one of them was my only companion.  I counted on their warm greetings when I would return home each evening.  An empty house was hard to bear.

Pets are good for your health, apparently. Health wise, it can lower your blood pressure, improve your immunity and even decrease your risk of heart attack and stroke. 

 A cuddly cat, a loving dog: Some people are so attached to their pets you'd think they were part of the family. Well, as any pet owner will tell you, they are! 


One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  

Author Unknown

6 comments:

Rose said...

I don't own pets as I'm highly allergic.

But, I truly can see the comfort of having a dog.

linda m said...

I don't have any pets either - my hubby is allergic to pet dander. So I volunteer at the local animal shelter. I actually work with rabbits (so I'm not tempted to bring one home). My job is to pet and groom them; the handling makes them more adoptable. God bless you.

That corgi :) said...

It is neat, Ma, you have lots of furry pets to visit when you need to get your "furry pet fix" so to speak. I know what you mean about getting older and not being able to care for them. My SIL's mom adopted a dog from the rescue shelter. She was always so worried that he would outlive her, which is exactly what happened. Thankfully a friend who used to watch him when she traveled offered to take the dog (my SIL couldn't because the dog didn't get along with their two dogs).

I often think Koda will be our last pet.

wonderful thing to be thankful for with our furry pets!

betty

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Don't know what we'd do without our fur babies..!!
Enjoy our Holiday..!!

jack69 said...

I really enjoyed the post, especially the opening and closing Quotes. They say a lot in a few words.
YOu are still on a rool with the objects of Thansk!

FROM FLORIDA! All set up for 3 weeks here,
Sherry & jack

Chatty Crone said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family - Love, sandie