It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chapter 11, Page 15, Book 12




Gratitude is the memory of the heart. 

Jean Baptiste Massieu


# 15 of 30 things I'm thankful for in November

Memories

I am thankful for thoughts of the past that fill my heart with joy.  I always like to think that we keep those we love close to our hearts and when they are no longer with us, we need to remember that.  They are just as close to us as our heart is.

November can be a bleak and lonely month. There are few hiding places only to face the reality that we do miss our loved ones in lots of different ways. In remembering all those who have died we acknowledge their influence in our own lives. These people were special and important to us. In remembering them during this month, it is our way of saying they are still special and important to us and always will be. May they rest in peace.

In our American culture, it seems to be a taboo to talk about death.  I have  had to deal with death, and I have learned that death often is a gift. For some, death is a relief from a hard life. For others, death is freedom from physical pain. And for still others, death is a rebirth into a new life that is eternal.

All of us are shaped today by all that has happened in the past. We need to realize that the life, culture and experience of those gone before us still have an influence in our lives. 

I've learned . . . .
to gather all the crumbs thrown my way.
They soon form a lovely, thick slice
of life and memories.
Thanksgiving is possible only for those who take time to remember; 
no one can give thanks who has a short memory.  

5 comments:

That corgi :) said...

You are right, Ma, in that there seems to be a taboo about death and talking about it, talking about people who have died, etc., but we do want to keep those we live alive even if they passed and the only way we can do that is through memories and sharing them. I too agree that death can be a gift and it is the way that us who believe in Jesus will get to be with him for eternity!

betty

Linda :) said...

The boys don't like how casual I talk about death, but it is a part of life... it's good for children to have pets as it's usually their first experience with death...
I love your new header picture...

ADB said...

And it's the one certainty we have in life: that it will come to an end. However, that is such an enormous certainty that many find it difficult to confront.

jack69 said...

This is a beautiful entry. I love the way you expressed it, and yes, I am more thankful for the memories.

I talked to a gentleman on a Forum, who is thinking a lot about death lately, but cannot talk to his wife about it. That is so sad. One should be able to discuss anything with a mate.
Anyway as always, life is good.
Cool and rainy here in South Carolina.

JeanJournal said...

ANYWAY AS ALWAYS~LIFE IA GOOD!!!!! as Jack69 said (AND ~ GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!! & HE IS OUR SHIELD & OUR EXCEEDING GREAT REWARD!!! ) WHEN i WAKE UP IN THE MORNING, MY FIRST THOUGHT IS "LORD! HELP ME! DO YOUR WILL TODAY~ and I feel so amazed that I am very content & doing mostly what I've always done each day ~ when even my daughter has to walk at times with a cane, and I remember a verse in the B ible Psalm 103:5 WHO SATISFIETH THY MOUTH WITH GOOD THINGS AND THY YOUTH IS RENEWED AS THE EAGLES ~ verses 1-4 are also wonderful KJV ~ thanks Ma & Jack69 for comments on THE ANSWER IS JESUS blog ~ Jean(Rome Georgis Girl Living in Calhoun)