It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Chapter 10, Page 9, Book 12



SPEAK GENTLY

Speak gently. It is better by far
to rule by love than fear.
Speak gently. Let no harsh word mar
the good you may do here.

Speak gently to the young, for they
will have enough to bear;
pass through this life as best they may,
'tis full of anxious care.

Speak gently to the aged one
Grieve not the care-worn heart,
whose sand of life are nearly run,
let such in peace depart.

Speak gently, kindly to the poor,
let no harsh tone be heard.
They have enough they must endure
without an unkind word.

Speak gently... 'tis a little thing
dropped in the heart's deep well;
The good, the joy that it may bring
eternity shall tell.

by David Bates


 This poem is a lesson I've had to learn more than once in my life.  Sometimes we don't actually hear how we talk to ourself and others.  Most of us would cringe if we recorded and listened to our conversations. So often the root to what causes us to blow u[ is our insecurity.Money, relationship, and health concerns can cause us to tense up and react to those around us.

When you are kind to yourself, it is easy and natural to be kind to others. We tend to be quick to criticise others when they make a mistake, but often omit to point out when they are doing something right. It only takes a minute each day to tell somebody who crosses your path what you appreciate about them.

Here are some nuggets from Proverbs 15 to tuck away in our hearts as spiritual snack food that can renew our energy when we are weary in choosing to speak gently, even if our words must be hard.
 
Proverbs 15

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.

The lips of the wise spread knowledge; not so the hearts of fools.


And don’t we all often need the reminder that our words have weight and power?

Good thoughts to live by today...

Keep life simple and 
Trust God implicitly

6 comments:

Kath said...

I love the phrase... Spiritual Snack Food......All too true as well.I try to tell someone every day, I appreciate them,even if at times it is only online,if I do not have company call.So yes Ma.I appreciate you taking time out each day, to furnish us with such lovely posts {{HUgs }}}to you.Have a terrific Tuesday.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Chatty Crone said...

I love people who speak gently - when people speak so harshly my eyes automatically close up.

linda m said...

Words to live by. Thank you.

jack69 said...

You are a jewel, and a real Gem to enjoy. Good post and good advice fro you and the Good Book that I wish to follow, Somehow, even lately, I have been unable to follow the 'rules' and have had to apologize. I don't really mind the apology required, but wish it was not needed. it hurts to know I cannot control my own self.
Love from a dreary day here, maybe that is it. LOL

That corgi :) said...

Always great reminder Ma to speak gently and encouraging to others. It is always something I know I have to be aware of to control the words that come out of my mouth. Like I said before, that's why I think the Bible gives us so many warnings about how destructive words can be. Very good advice this Tuesday morning!

betty

Sr. Ann Marie Slavin said...

i agree! Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we were to video our conversations and dealings with people--how would we feel when we see it replayed? Yesterday someone had a quote by Maya Angelou on Facebook that has stayed with me ever since I read it. "People will forget what you said. They will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel."