It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, August 27, 2012

Chapter 8, Page 27, Book 12



Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

 This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above,
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

Blessed Assurance was composed by two of the most prolific Christian hymn writers in history. The lyrics come from a woman with over 8000 hymns to her credit and the music comes from the organ of a lady with over 500 hymns to her credit. One day, Fanny Crosby was visiting her dear friend, Phoebe Knapp. She played a tune for Fanny and asked her afterwards, What does it say to you, Fanny? Her reply was simple: Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine. 

This hymn is still being played on the church organ in thousands of churches still today.  Fanny Crosby was blind and once said that with sight she'd have been too distracted to have written thousands of hymns.  Without Fanny's faith and Phoebe's organ songs such as Blessed Assurance would never have been written.  

I think our week will be a little better if we have a little faith and sing a song.  Keeping focused on what we can do and not get distracted worrying about what we cannot do. 

 Have a MERRY Monday everyone!  

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

jack69 said...

I love a Hymn story about as much as anything I know. They thrill me. Fanny Crosby was an angel.
The churches we attend on the road seldom sing an OLD hymn, and I think they are missing something very deep.

Kath said...

I love old hymes the best Ma.What an inspiration this lady was.Youv'e got me singing now.Enjoy your day I hope it is a wonderful one for you.Take Care God bless Kath xx

Martha said...

Well that sure puts things in prospective!
We are all fine here, the storm just barely side swiped us. A little minor flooding but no real damage anywhere in our area. Thanks for sending your prayers Ma. Now we need to send prayers to our friends in Louisiana where it's heading.
Hope you have a great week :)

Chatty Crone said...

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine - that is one of my most favorite of hymns ever! Love it. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

So sad Fanny Crosby was blind, but she could see so much more than a sighted person, for sure. take care. Trying to play catch up with my blog reading.

Jan said...

I love that hymn too and we often sing it here in the UK so proving again how alike we are love Jan xx