It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, August 20, 2012

Chapter 8, Page 20, Book 12



Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Nought be all else to me, save that Thou art-
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joy, O bright heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O ruler of all.



 MERRY Monday

Be Thou My Vision is a hymn derived from an 8th century Irish folk song. It expresses a desire for God’s hand in our lives and a longing to be in His presence and was first translated into English in 1905 when Eleanor H. Hull converted the lyrics.  We don't know the author's name, but the meaning of the words are still clear.  The hymn is a prayer that Christ will be our vision, our best thought, our light


The folk song got its start in Ireland around 433 AD, when on the night before Easter; St. Patrick defied a royal decree by lighting candles

Be Thou My Vision has come from being a simple folk song to a hymn that is known for its gentleness. It is through tales such as these, time seems to disappear when we are confronted with the work of an Almighty God.

This is another great old hymn that I love to sing and singing is a great way to start off the week!

Have a Merry Monday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma


9 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Lovely hymn. Wonderful history about how it came to be. The fact it came from Ireland is near to my heart. Hope you have a fantastic day. take care.

Kath said...

WE have a program on TV called "Songs Of Praise" Ma each Sunday at around 6pm.I never fail to watch I love the program.I love the old hymes too and sing along at the top of my voice.I often wonder what my neighbour thinks He-He.Praise Him,Praise Him.Have a lovely Monday Evening Ma.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Martha said...

Beautiful! Singing is definitely one of those things that can brighten our day immediately. Have a wonderful week :)

jack69 said...

Beautiful HYmn and so true. Hope you are well. I thought I posted a comment this morning, but you know sometimes I forget to hit publish when I rush off, or something. Anyway we had a great drive on back roads today, now in Bangor.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't know if I have heard that one or not. It is beautiful. And the older I get - I realize that God is the most important vision of all.
Love, sandie

Barb said...

It is a beautiful song, and MA, I am like you. I love to sing. I remember my Mom humming as she cooked and cleaned. Guess it rubbed off on me.
Have a great day, my friend. Love you and appreciate you so very much.

JeanJournal said...

I googled THOU BE MY VISION on YOUTUBE and listened to it a few times(one of my ways to "unwind" ~ JESUS really is ALL WE NEED! ~ BLESSYA! ~ jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun)

JeanJournal said...

BE THOU MY VISION is so lovely and I googled it and listened to it on YOUTUBE ~ (one of my ways to "unwind" ~ JESUS is really ALL WE NEED ~ Blessya sweet lady~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun)

peggy said...

That's just about my favorite hymn and was glad to know more about it.