It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, August 13, 2012

Chapter 8, Page 13 Book 12




NEARER MY GOD TO THEE

Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me;
Still all my song would be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone;
Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

There let the way appear steps unto heav'n;
All that Thou sendest me in mercy giv'n;
Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Then with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise;
So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Or if on joyful wing, cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upwards I fly,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!


MERRY MONDAY

Nearer My God to Thee was written by British actress, dramatic poet and Unitarian hymn writer Sarah Flower Adams (1805-1848). Her desire was to continue with the theatre, but frail health interrupted her plans so she took to writing poems and hymns. Her sister Eliza wrote the original music. Several versions of melody have emerged over the years

.A pastor from the Unitarian church was visiting with Adams' family one afternoon. He mentioned that he was having difficulty finding a hymn that represented his next week's sermon, taken from on Genesis 28:11-19 (The story of Jacob's dream). Sarah volunteered to write a hymn for the occasion. Within the week, Nearer My God to Thee was born.

 When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, 'Surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware of it.'

Genesis 28:16


Singing this hymn is a great way to start off the week.  We are reminded that even though we have made plans, life doesn't always turn out to be exactly the way we'd like it to be and through it all our Lord is with us always.

Have a MERRY Monday everyone!.

'On Ya'-ma

4 comments:

Kath said...

Back after a two week vacation Ma,I hope you and yours are well.This is one of my favourite hymns.I have been singing along to the words.Thankyou for the info in this Hymn.Have a great Monday Ma,lovely little photo's in the post.It's good to be back missed you.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The pictures are of the forest and dam near where we camp. At an overlook, you could look down at out at the forest. The picture doesn't show how high up we were.

jack69 said...

I love Hymns and the stories behind them. This story is new to me. There was a time my life was seeking out stories behind hymns and coming up with an appropriate chalk drawing to go along with it.

I loved that part of myu life.
Love from up here in New Hampshire.

TARYTERRE said...

LOVED the hymn history. Did NOT know where this came from. NOW I do. LOVELY pictures from your little piece of heaven. It's GORGEOUS there at your camper. Take care.