It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Chapter 8, Page 1, Book 12



Our words have the power to build up or tear down.


WONDERFUL Wednesday/ wonderful words

A few years ago, auto manufacturers recalled a staggering 20 million cars in the US for various defects. The thought of such a large number of defective cars on the road is startling enough. But what is more disturbing is the apathy of some owners. In one instance, the executive director of the Center for Auto Safety warned owners, It’s a free repair. Get it done. It may save your life.  Yet, despite the risk to their own lives, 30 percent never responded

I know I take full advantage of any recalls on my car, I'm not part of that 30% that didn't respond.  Warnings like that make me want to get my car fixed and when it's free, it's all the better.

Even when we know the right thing to do, it can be difficult to do if we don’t feel like it. We may feel like lying in bed much longer than we should, even when we aren’t sleepy anymore. Sometimes we know we ought to keep our mouth shut, but we don’t feel like it.

Proverbs 18 offers insight about some unwise speech patterns. The writer notes that foolish people express their own opinions instead of trying to understand what others have to say 

Fools find no pleasure in understanding
but delight in airing their own opinions.

The words of the mouth are deep waters, 
but the fountain of wisdom is a rushing stream.

The words of a gossip are like choice morsels
they go down to the inmost parts.

To answer before listening—
that is folly and shame.

The tongue has the power of life and death

It’s just as easy to say that you can’t do something as it is to say that you can.  We become what we speak.  The words that are spoken out of your mouth immediatley have life and can become viral.  The power to make that happen comes from the thought and belief in the words we speak.  There is definitely power in the tongue so we must be careful of the words that come out of our mouths.

When you think about it words that come out of our mouths actually come out of our hearts.  If I'm grouchy, no doubt about it, my words are going to be grouchy ones. Thankfully I'm not grouchy very often and when I am it's often because of something someone else has said.  We do have to be careful how we let others words affect us. 

Wise words, warning words, kind words and sometime cruel words are a part of all of our lives.  We just have to be careful to listen to the right ones and follow thru.

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL Wednesday.

'On Ya'-ma 

3 comments:

JeanJournal said...

WORDS ARE MY LIFE it seems
I write more than I talk
And a 'still small voice' says
(Imogene ~ go see a neighbor ~
and I TAKE A WALK!

I stay by myself too much I know
But when the Lord says ~ go ~ I go!
And after the visit ~ 'from my heart' O how the words of poetry 'flow'!~~~hugs ~ (Jean Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun) ~~~ a lovely post today, Ma as usual ~~~~

Chatty Crone said...

Words can never be taken back either - even if you say sorry - the words are still there. And if you get them when you are little - it's hard work to get them out of your head. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Words can bite. They just slip out, with careless abandon. I am guilty of that I know. We should all THINK before we speak. But most of us don't. Love the line, "The words of the mouth are deep waters, but the fountain of wisdom is a rushing stream." take care.