It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chapter 7, Page 29, Book 12



Start With Yourself
When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country.
But it, too, seemed immovable.
As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me. But alas, they would have none of it.
And now as I lie on my deathbed, I suddenly realize: if I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family.
From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and, who knows, I may have even changed the world. 
Anonymous



R AND R SUNDAY

My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.

Exodus 33:14

Peace, even just a few moments of being truly at ease, seems very, very hard to come by sometimes. There are just too many options for doing something right now!  Slowing down becomes a luxury.

Today our inward peace may be threatened with interruption. A friend may offer a disappointing comment or a message may pop up that invites unkindness.

With the abundance of media channels available these days, I could easily find myself in communication overload with little time for contemplation and silence.



Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

 Frank Lloyd Wright


Taking those moments to stay at peace are a luxury, but one that most of us can afford.  Truly we cannot afford to go without them.

Peace comes when we decide that it isn't just a luxury -- it is a necessity.  I found out through lots of trial and error that I needed peaceful moments and often a whole day just so I could be the best I could be for the rest of the week.  When I'm tired and weary, there is only one way to change that.  Rest and relaxation are rejuvenating.  They restore my body, mind and soul. 




A single moment of peace can bring waves of change


When I take a few moments to rest, my mind clears and I'm able to think more clearly.  When I take a day, like I usually do on Sundays, I'm renewed.  The daily tasks before me will be done with a lot more ease and certainty.  When I'm refreshed, anything seems possible.





The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money.

Thomas Jefferson


This Sunday I hope you all get some moments to rest and relax.  I wish you all a peace filled day filled with quiet moments of reflection, maybe a nap or doing something you love.  A day to start with yourself.


'On Ya'-ma


7 comments:

Rose said...

Yes, I love to relax on Sundays and find my inner peace.

Have a wonderful day!

Buttercup said...

I am happily resting and relaxing today. Lunch with my college roommate a little later today and that's a treat. Have a great day!

That corgi :) said...

Its so true Ma that we need to be still and quiet to find that peace too; we are constantly bombarded with so much noise, even if it is good news with fun events or great songs or TV programs, but we do need that quiet time too! I like my quiet Sunday afternoons :)

betty

Chatty Crone said...

Amen - you can only change yourself - you can change no one else. And you have to take the time to pray to do it.
Sandie

Patricia Erwin Nordman said...

I just found this website today - it is the best! Thank you so very much for giving us "peace in our day" - God bless you!

jack69 said...

A great entry, starting with the essay by anonymous.

Thanks for inspiration and hope. always a fount of good advice and love for your neighbor, no matter how far away we are.

Sending love from Pennsylvania...

TARYTERRE said...

Peace and contentment are life's pleasure. I seldom if ever watch the TV when I'm alone. But the internet is my best friend. LOL Hope you enjoyed your day off. i did. Take care.