It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chapter 7, Page 26, Book 12




Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble

George Washington

THANKFUL THURSDAY

So often we borrow trouble and cannot use it. It's an old expression, but one some swear they invented. They always borrowing trouble or worrying ahead.

You'll generally observe that when you go to borrow trouble there are already several people at the counter ahead of you waiting for theirs

Whenever we fall into the trap of imagination, worry, or concern over things we cannot change, we are borrowing trouble for ourselves. Worry is expenditure. If you put a penny in your pocket every time you seize a moment of joy, and give it back  every time you worry about something, how many pennies are left in your pocket at the end of the week? Try it.

We are meant to take one day at a time not living in the past or reaching ahead to the unknown future.  The only thing we can change is our outlook.  We cannot change others and often we cannot change our circumstances.

Borrow trouble for yourself, if that's your nature, but don't lend it to your neighbors.

 Borrowing trouble is the last thing we need in our lives. We are to live each day as it comes, and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow

When I reflect on those times that I spent fretting over a situation. usually something out of my control, I wonder how much of that time could have been spent finding joy. I wonder how many times I missed hearing a bird sing or watching a beautiful sunset. How many times did I miss the music in the laughter of a child? As I grow a little older and wiser, I realize it is the small things of joy that should take priority over needless worry.

God never promises an easy life, but He does promise a blessed life.
I don't want to look back and say, I didn't know how good I had it. I do know how good I have it. 

So this Thankful Thursday,  I'm grateful for a life full of blessings that keep me from borrowing trouble. When you count your blessings and are thankful for them life looks a whole lot brighter.


'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I like that concept about the pennies, Ma; I'm thinking some days I'd be short at the end of the day as I tend to be a worrier more than being thankful with blessings. Something to think about today!

have a great one!

betty

jack69 said...

One of the BEST I have read. I have never heard some of this, and that is the first I have read of Washington's quote.

Love it and it is all so True. I am coming back to get this one!!!

JeanJournal said...

I'm loving your blog MORE every day ~ DON'T WORRY ~ BE HAPPY ~ is the way to find JOY FOR THE DAY! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun ~~~also ~ WHY WORRY WHEN YOU CAN PRAY? ~ Ma I hope you know that YOU ARE THE BEST! I'm sure YOUR CHILDREN KNOW :)

Chatty Crone said...

I have so many troubles in the present day - I try not to borrow trouble from tomorrow!!!!!!!!! lol

sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Love the sentiment, MA. Trouble found me today. I don't need to borrow it. we have a couple of old vans and a used car. Two are in the shop being repaired. One almost left me on the road, if not for the kindness of a stranger. I do not want to even think about how much this will cost??? Take care.