It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chapter 7, Page 15, Book 12


Be renewed in the spirit of your minds.

Ephesians 4:23

R AND R SUNDAY!

 Taking a dip in a refreshing pool … sipping an ice cold drink on a hot day … enjoying a brisk, energizing walk …. These experiences rejuvenate me in mind and body. It seems there are always more things to do, places to go, and people to meet. And while none of us would want a life without meaningful things to do, the fast pace threatens to rob us of the quietness that we need. 
When we’re driving a car,there are always stop signs and other signs warning us to slow down.  They are reminders that to be safe we can’t have our foot on the accelerator all the time. We need those kinds of reminders in all aspects of our lives. 
 When I was a child I grew up hearing snippets from the Bible all the time.  Between these and old wives tales, my Mom and Grandma had all kinds of warnings for us. These words were often chiding and chastising, but they could be words of encouragement too.  One that I will always remember is that Sunday is the Lord's Day.  My grandmother faithfully set aside the day for time with God and her family.  At the time I really didn't consider what a gift Sundays really are.  We were given a day of rest and refreshment from the labors of the week and burdens of the heart...

Stop and take a break from the busyness of life so that you can refuel your soul.

Now when I read inspirational stories, spend time in silence, attend a worship service and celebrate my faith with others, these experiences and more help me to renew and refresh my mind, body and spirit too.  They are like those warning signs that tell us how important it is to take take our foot off the accelerator and renew and refresh our souls.  Heeding the warning signs brings out the very best in all of us.


 I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday filled with a lot of that great R and R. 

Renew and Refresh!  Rest and Relax!

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

Buttercup said...

Rest is so critical for us. I am finding that without proper rest my pain levels go up. I am learning to slow down and enjoy all I am given. Have a sweet Sunday and a wonderful week.

That corgi :) said...

So true, Ma, that Sunday is a gift for us who take it as a day of rest and relaxation and rejuvenation! It is a wonderful gift I am learning to appreciate more and more with each passing Sunday! I hope yours is a very pleasant day today!

betty

jack69 said...

You remind me of Sunday years ago. It was a day of refreshing, fellowship and learning. As a preacher's kid, either I went home with someone or they stayed with me until the evening service.
Sunday WAS R & R.

Love from here we are pretty cool 84 outside.

Chatty Crone said...

The minister talked today about resting the yoke once in awhile. You are both right. sandie

JeanJournal said...

My DELL was not working for all of last week~Sorry to not be able to read your wonderful words that inspire me SO MUCH! My girls fixed it, and I'll try to catch up reading the last 2 weeks of your blog, Ma~~~i loved seeing the flag on your blog ~ and LOVED THE POEM TOO ` Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun ~visited my daughter for 8 days also ~ gotta get busy on housework & yyardwork~~HAVE A BLESSED WEEK and just know you're appreciated.

TARYTERRE said...

Taking our foot off the accelerator and refueling our souls is crucial from time to time, I agree. Gets us moving in the right direction.