It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Chapter 6, Page 5, Book 12



I say to mankind, Be not curious about God.  For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God - I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least.  

Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

TERRIFIC 2'S TUESDAY:  DOUBT AND UNBELIEF

Doubt and unbelief are not the same, but because we usually put them in the same context we sometimes think they are the same thing..  I’ve learned though that there is a big difference.   Doubt is can't believe; unbelief is won't believe

Doubt isn’t simply unbelief—it’s more of an attitude that says, I believe, but . . .or, I want to believe, but . . .

Doubt often comes to reside where faith once lived. Doubt is active opposition to faith, and it tries to push faith aside. 


Doubting does not prove that a man has no faith, but only that his faith is small. And even when our faith is small, the Lord is ready to help us. 

J.C.Ryle
 
How we handle doubt is largely a reflection of the health of our faith.  Doubt can sometimes help us in our faith, it keeps our mind open, our hearts searching and can bring us to a new point if we allow it. 


The cure for doubt is preventative, we cultivate an active and vibrant life of faith in what God has said and done.  If we know what why we believe what we do, there leaves less room for doubt.  Faith grows and flourishes when it is well nourished and exercised, so the best way to resist doubt is to build up faith rather than simply to fight against doubt.

I remember a time when I was feeling strongly dissatisfied and discontented. I had no peace or joy and was absolutely miserable. I was filled with doubt . . . doubt . . . doubt.  When we allow questions to enter in, any kind of uncertainty that takes our minds away from God’s wonderful work in our lives, that’s doubt

Unbelief is more of an attitude, an active decision connected to mistrust, which in turn degrades someone’s character. For example, to say we have no faith in someone means we don’t trust them, they are incapable, their character is flawed.

 .....Doubt is can’t believe. Unbelief is won’t believe. Doubt is honesty. Unbelief is obstinacy. Doubt is looking for light. Unbelief is content with darkness.

Henry Drummond

Never let doubt turn your life into a constant struggle, instead, use it to drive your search for the Truth. See your doubt as an opportunity for greater trust.

All that I have seen teaches me to trust God for all I have not seen.  

Author Unknown

That is my 2 for this Tuesday:  Doubt and unbelief.

I believe, even though I had some doubts, but faith settled the question.

Have a TERRIFIC Tuesday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I like that idea about using doubt to drive your search for the truth. Then all things are possible. Have a great day. take care.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Another great post..!!
Enjoy your tuesday

Kath said...

I always let my faith take care of my doubt.Great post Ma.Have a Terrific Tuesday,I enjoyed reading your two for today.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Chatty Crone said...

Food for thought there - guess that is why we always have to study and read the Bible. sandie