It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, June 18, 2012

Chapter 6, Page 18, Book 12



MERRY Monday!

Did you Know????

When we sneeze, people say, Bless you or God bless you. Why do they do that? Well, hundreds of years ago, no one knew what caused sneezes. People back then thought that when you sneezed, your soul came out of your body, or they thought that when you sneezed an evil spirit would come into your body. In order to protect themselves from evil spirits, they would say God bless you. This was supposed to be a blessing that would keep the evil spirits away. We still say Bless you today, even though we know that evil spirits can't come and go with a sneeze.

There was also the misconception that the heart momentarily stops during a sneeze, it doesn't, and that saying bless you was a way of welcoming the person back to life.

So saying God bless you was a way of commending them to the care of God.

The exchangeable term gesundheit comes from Germany, and it literally means health. The idea is that a sneeze typically precedes illness. It entered the English language in the early part of the 20th century, brought to the United States by German speaking immigrants.

We now know that sneezing is a reflex action and is most often the sign of something relatively benign, such as a cold or allergy. A sneeze also can be provoked by being outside in the sunlight or from smelling a strong odor. Still, we persist in the custom of saying bless you or gesundheit, mainly out of habit and common courtesy.

I think that to bless someone, is a serious thing, and it's not to be taken lightly.  When we say God Bless You, we should really mean it from our hearts and souls.  This is a phrase that asks the Lord to protect you, keep you in good health,  and fill your life with good and happiness. It is the very best thing we can want for someone.

So when someone sneezes, yes let’s say God bless you.
…and when someone is in pain, let’s say God bless you
…and when someone is struggling from addiction, let’s say God bless you
…and when someone is locked in by fear, let’s say God bless you
…and when someone is in mourning, let’s say God bless you.


To say God bless you isn’t an empty wish. It is often a word of hope in the midst of despair.



May God bless you and may you have a merry Monday! 

 May God bless your day and you!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I did NOT know all of this information about SNEEZING. Fascinating, indeed. Bless your heart for sharing it. Take care.

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Very interesting--I'd forgotten some of that! I like your idea to say "God bless you," more often.

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed learning about that. And I say with honesty - God Bless You. sandie

jack69 said...

God Bless you!
Thanks for the education. For some reason, I must have been raised under a rock. I never heard that expression until I was 17 or 18 and in the military. When i would sneeze someone would say. 'Bless you'. I did not know why.
When I sneeze today, I always say excuse me. That is the way I was raised., Yeah I know I was /am different!

Love to you lady we had a great day today, but I am really late getting around.

That corgi :) said...

I had heard that about the superstitions about sneezing Ma and why "God Bless You" started. I agree with you, we really need to be sincere when we say God Bless You and we can say it for more than one thing because it is of hope; it lets people know there is a God who cares for them and loves them. I hope you had a good day!

betty