It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chapter 6, Page 13, Book 1




Lord, where we are wrong, make us willing to change; where we are right, make us easy to live with. 

Peter Marshall 

WONDERFUL Wednesday / Changes can be wonderful

How many times have you been told, You haven’t changed a bit,  when you know full well that you have? In fact, you may have changed a lot. How can anyone from birth to now not change?  I’ve experienced the change from brown hair to gray. My hometown has dwindled in population. The world seems smaller with new communication technologies.

Lots of unseemly things happen to us as we age. We begin to lose our hearing, sight, memory, hair  and generally our whole body begins to change. Some of the changes are welcomed, like the wisdom we receive from our experiences over the age.

It occurred to me that the question of coping with change depends to some extent on who initiated the change. If you initiate the change, it becomes a positive act, and you look forward with anticipation to a challenging experience. If, however, you are the object of a change, pressed upon you by circumstance, your reaction is likely to be quite different.

I think that the best way to cope with change is to be willing to take a chance on changing our attitude toward many things.  Attitude is very important, the way we deal with change is everything.
 

It seems that change is the one constant in our lives.  Many changes are beyond our control, so we’re forced to adapt.
We need to make sure we don’t confuse steadfastness with stubbornness. Steadfastness means being true to a belief system we have chosen after careful consideration of the alternatives  and not merely giving in to traditional beliefs or peer pressure.

One thing I know for sure and maybe two, is that my priorities have changed a lot over the years.  We need to stop trying to prioritize things we can’t control and start prioritizing things we can.

Examining our problems, exploring the alternatives, and extinguishing negative attitudes are all ways we can make changes for the better.

Some changes are wonderful.

I hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one too!

'On Ya'-ma

8 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Thanks for the words of wisdom..!!
I know sometimes i do not deal with change well...but...change always works out for the good...
Enjoy

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Beautiful reflection. I love the quote about the butterflies! An old friend whom I haven't seen in person for many years saw one of my jubilee pictures and said "you look just like I remember you." I laughed because I'm about 50 pounds heavier! She also jokingly asked if I had dyed my hair since it had gone from black to white!

Chatty Crone said...

I do think life is always changing just like people are changing. And if you have a hard time changing I think life is a lot harder for you. We need to learn to be adaptable and flexible but it is not always easy. Good post. sandie

jack69 said...

Thanks Ma. You find a way to bring change down to earth.
This is a fantastic read. U done GOOD!
Again Thanks!!! (I needed that)

Kath said...

I don't like change Ma,but some things have to be changed as you say.Quite a few things I have had to change of late.As your friend Sr Ann Marie says and yourself too,people do often say you havn't changed at at all since you were young.It is laughable.Love the post.Have a great evening Ma.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

That corgi :) said...

I like the thought of prioritizing things we can control, Ma. Change is hard for me, but you are right, we are constantly changing, even if we might not be aware of it!

betty

Sybil said...

Like Kath I am not keen on change prefer things to remain just as I like !! but then when I thnk about it really I actually am not adverse to change but usually only if I initiate it LOL But wise words from you as always Ma,
Love sybil xx

JeanJournal said...

Yep! There have been some changes for me! Some good...some I don't like ~ I got a haircut a day or so ago(my Keeva who does my hair was on vacation in the SMOKIES...and I went to someone else, who cut it TOO SHORT ~ I gave her a tip anyway ~ I'm enjoying! the haircut...but don't like it! UGH! oh well~as a Canadian friend used to say ~ it will grow back out after awhile` hugs to all ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun=