It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chapter 5, Page 20, Book 12




I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today

William Allen White

R AND R SUNDAY / the beginning or end of the week?

Sunday is not the beginning of the week for most of us but rather the end of the week. It is not the first day of the week, but rather the last day of the weekend. It is not the day we give our best to God, but rather our leftovers. Sunday is no longer that day that many spend worshipping God for a new week that lies ahead, but rather the day when we squeeze every possible ounce of pleasure out of a fading weekend.

Our great-grandfathers called it the Holy Sabbath, our grandfathers called it the Sabbath, and our fathers called it Sunday

Today, we call it the weekend.  I read an article that said 70% of Americans face Monday mornings tired, weak and spiritually dead.

Sometimes we begin the week very weak.

  I'm not perfect by any means and humbly rely on the good Lord to keep me going.  I'm nothing much at all with out Him.

I've learned...
that the Lord didn't do it all in one
day.  What makes me think I can?

Sunday is the day I get renewed and refreshed.  I rest and relax and rejoice.  Spending an hour in church, or reading my Scripture studies, praying or reflecting.  I need this time to start a new week.  I am a weak person, and need all the help I can get to go through each week.

But those who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. 

Isaiah 40:31 

Taking time out on Sunday is the best way I know to be the best I can be.  I want to give my best.  

Take some time to appreciate the gift of today for what it is. It's Sunday!

As always you all are in my thoughts and prayers.


'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

Rose said...

This was beautiful.

I love Sundays and I do feel refreshed on Monday morning.

Hugs, Rose

That corgi :) said...

I like that line Ma "sometimes we begin the week very weak" but that is so true. We go, go, go on the weekends and don't allow ourselves time to recharge all of our batteries, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. I have taken your advice to heart this past year and really just allowed Sundays to be the day to rest and contemplate (after church and volunteering there). Sunday afternoons usually are car rides with Koda and then a nice Sunday nap; but I do feel recharged and ready to tackle the week ahead!

may it be a restful one for you!

betty

jack69 said...

I enjoy coming here to MA's place, I never tire of the nuggets:
I've learned...
that the Lord didn't do it all in one
day. What makes me think I can?
**************
neat. It is unique how the term for the First day of the week changed. Also, as a kid I always considered Sunday as the last day of the week (I think I still do unless I think!), for some reason!!!
Beautiful day here in the mts, a little cool, had to turn on the heat! LOL

Chatty Crone said...

You know when I was younger all the stores were closed!!!!!!! Now it's true - you don't even think about it - it is one more day to work and get errands done. I am glad you reminded me! sandie

JeanJournal said...

I LOVE SUNDAYS ~ As a child and school girl (until the WAR) Church bells would ring from church next to our house(and I would start across my yard to church...was saved and baptized there, never hardly ever missed anything going on there, and the Pastor there married CW & me at his home in North Rome...'shy..me' would not have a church wedding. We went to church the next morning...and to work on Monday. I had a lovely day, Ma and got a lot of R & R ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun (still coughing but no sore throat or 'weirdness' but a little weary ((you sure do cheer me up some...)))

TARYTERRE said...

For eighteen years... My hubby only had weekends at home. Sundays were always sad because he had to drive back out of state to where he worked, 4 to 6 hours away. Making time to RELAX is the key.