It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, May 14, 2012

Chapter 5, Page 14, Book 12



Sit on a stone for three years and it gets warm

Japanese Proverb

A proverb is a simple and concrete saying popularly known and repeated. It expresses a truth based on common sense. Many Japanese proverbs are usually very short and to the point. They also echo the scriptures. The above proverb is a reminder on the importance of perseverance. It is often so easy to give up, to not bother or care, to leave it to someone else and to give up when the challenges get serious. But most good things in life take time. While sitting on a stone for three years seems like an awful long time, the key message here is that all the really good things in life need quality time. We are pulled and dragged in how we spend and use this time. We are encouraged to persevere, to keep going, to do our best, to use our time wisely and to know that everything will work out for the best. We are also encouraged throughout scriptures to put our trust in God who will always persevere with us to get us where we want.

From one of my devotionals this past week - Today is my Gift to You

MERRY MONDAY!

This is the beginning of a new week....I am always thankful that we have another chance to get it right.  Perseverance is something that I know makes or breaks you.  Most of the time when I persevere I am rewarded for my efforts.  There have been times though, that after many hours spent trying to succeed, I've had to just give up and try something new.  There are some things in life that aren't meant to be and when I discover that fact I just give up and move on.

I have discovered that all good things in life do take time, so I'm not one to give up easily.  Today, I'm persevering on my goal to get the basement sorted out.  I've made great headway, but there is still much to go.  I'm thinking that it's got to be done and so I keep on keeping on.  

Whatever you might be trying to get done today, I hope you do better than I will probably do.  Some tasks just are not my favorites at all and this is one of them.  I dread going through old stuff.  I hate to part with some things.  I am not having it easy at all getting this job done. I avoid the basement as much as possible, but I do want this job to be over with and done.

I'll carry on...this stone in my life has gone on far too now.

Have a MERRY Monday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I have never heard a Japanese proverb before. I like this one you posted, quite a bit. Perseverance can be a struggle, for sure. I hope the job you tackle in the basement gets easier for you, once you are willing to let go of some things. When you figure out how to do that, let me know. My husband and I are both packrats and the clutter is overwhelming. I'm a firm believer in the POWER of PRAYER. Thank you for keeping my daughter in yours. I can't thank you enough.

Chatty Crone said...

So that was about perseverance - I don't know if I have it or not - but my family calls me a pit bull. I have tried to decide when it is important to have it and when it is not. love, sandie

That corgi :) said...

I do like that proverb, Ma. I'll have to check out more Japanese ones indeed. Good luck with the basement! I am sure a little bit of persistence and perseverance in getting a little bit of it done over time will prove success! I know when we had a basement in our home in Montana, we had a couple of rooms down there that were "catch all" rooms. That made it challenging when we got ready to move clearing it all out. So good you are taking the effort now to do so!!

betty

grammy said...

Nice to catch up here...
I have been getting rid of stuff!!! It makes me proud of myself. Whenever we visit my 90 year old MIL...I am motivated to get rid of stuff. It is literally squishing them in a small spot. Now she can't get rid of stuff... because her brain sees it as threatening. I am sure you know what I mean. I just don't ever want my kids to have to deal with so much stuff. Of course it is an on going thing. (o:

Martha said...

Ma, something that has really helped my with letting go of old stuff is taking a photo of it. If we are just going to repack it away chances are we may never see it again - better to photograph so we can see those kind of things whenever we want to and pass them on or just let them go. Good luck!

jack69 said...

It is so easy to get side tracked. I have read the joke about seniors who start to do one thing and get diverted, then diverted from that and later diverted from that and nothing gets done.

That is how I feel now. hahahaha

JeanJournal said...

Well, Ma I am 80 today, May 15...I talk to my oldest daughter every night from 11:00 until midnight...so she told me HAPPY BIRTHDAY a few minutes after 12:00 ~~~ I NEVER DREAMED I WOULD LIVE TO BE 80 ~ It's so 'funny' because I 'feel' like sixties or seventies or even younger! ~ I'm THANKFUL and PRAISE GOD! ~ clutter...oh my...My children are after me all the time to get rid of some stuff ~ I MUST! ~ BECAUSE I know I should ~ GONNA CELEBRATE WITH MY YOUNGER DAUGHTER by going to my beloved home town, Rome, to have lunch and SHOP! (Blessya ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun