It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Chapter 5, Page 1, Book 12




If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.  If you want to be happy, practice compassion.  

Dalai Lama

TERRIFIC TUESDAY/ Practice makes perfect

They say that nobody is perfect.  Then they tell you practice makes perfect.  I wish they'd make up their minds.  

Wilt Chamberlain

We’re told that with thousands of hours of deliberate practice, meaning practicing the same thing repeatedly, we can become experts.

I’m a firm a firm believer that anyone can become expertly skillful at anything, if they practice intelligently. But it’s not enough to practice with repetition.  

Every time you practice with bad technique, you entrench it further.  The reality is that if we want to get better, not just any old practice will do.  If your technique isn’t right, you’ll be getting progressively better at doing things the wrong way, and helping to entrench habits that will hold you back from reaching your full potential with that skill.

Everybody ought to do at least two things each day that he hates to do, just for practice

William James

Don’t dwell on what did or didn’t happen in the past. Learn to be in the here and now, and experience life as it’s happening, and appreciate the world for the beauty that it is, right now. Practice makes perfect with this crucial skill.

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before.

Kurt Vonnegut 

Compassion is developing a sense of shared suffering with others … and taking steps to alleviate the suffering of others. I think too often we forget about the suffering of others while focusing on our own suffering, and if we learned to share the suffering of others, our suffering would seem insignificant as a result. Compassion is an extremely valuable skill to learn, and you get better with practice

Sometimes it’s better to learn to accept, and to love, the world as it is, and people as they are, rather than to try to make everything and everyone conform to an impossible ideal. I’m not saying you should accept cruelty and injustice, but learn to love things when they are less than perfect.

I absolutely believe in miracles, and believe that they are all around us, every day. My children are all miracles. The kindnesses of strangers are miracles. The life growing all around us is a miracle.

That is my 2 for this Tuesday:  practice and compassion

Hope you all have a TERRIFIC Tuesday!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

jack69 said...

I read this to Sherry:
Everybody ought to do at least two things each day that he hates to do, just for practice.

William James
I said I am not sure of that one.
She said well you do one, "YOu hate to get up!"

Great stuff today again.

That corgi :) said...

That is so true about practice, Ma, we must be sure we are practicing what we want to the right way; that rang a bell with me with hubby since he teaches guitar, he does have the people that come practicing something they thought was right only to have it not be. Good to apply it to other things in life too; hadn't thought about that. And indeed the world needs more compassion; that is a good trait to practice to get better on too!

Very good 2s for Tuesday today!

betty

Kath said...

I think I do engage in two things a day I hate to do Ma.1.. being cleaning other peoples rubbish up they leave lying in the street when I walk to the local shop.2.. being washing the toilet bowl.I hate this job,as I have a very tender stomach and I live alone and it's spotless,yet still I hate the job.I am a very compassionate person,so it would be nice if many more were too in todays world.I have had to practice many things and I am still not perfect at them,but who knows maybe one day a miracle might happen and I might just be end up being so,as I too believe in miracles.Have a Terrific Tuesday.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

TARYTERRE said...

I guess the old adage "Practice makes Perfect is true." My younger daughter is a Tibetan Buddhist. She follows the teachings of the Dalai Lama. So I am familiar with his take on COMPASSION. There is not enough of it in the world. LOVE your new header and page look. Take care.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Good post, Ma. I need to practice compassion. Too often I don't have patience with people and the way they deal with their issues. I need to learn to put myself in their place and thereby become more compassionate. Yes, I believe in miracles too. It's hard not to.

JeanJournal said...

I hate to 'exercise' ... and I hate to 'cook' "I DID BOTH" today ~~ and Ma, I hadn't even read your post today ... until just now ... (~10:41pm~) ~~~ SOMEHOW YOU are gifted to know what's needed in your writings to all of us. ~ Loveya! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun) I 'know' THE LORD PLAYS A BIG PART IN ALL YOU DO ~ Thanks!

Chatty Crone said...

I love the quotes today I am a quote person myself. Practice passion is a good one. And I love the do two things a day - it WILL make you stronger as a person for sure. Have a nice day. sandie