It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Chapter 4, Page 4, Book 12



I am no longer willing to drive into the future using my rearview mirror as my tool of navigation.

Anthony Robbins

Wonderful Wednesday

I read a story about a woman whose childhood was haunted by prophesies of gloom and doom, consequently, she spent much of her life feeling afraid.   She was constantly peering around corners, searching for emergency exits, and waiting for the light to unexpectedly change. While she was able to acknowledge that she had enjoyed a successful career, a loving family, countless contingency plans, and a clean bill of health, she also observed that she had lived in almost continuous dread and fear.  

It was not until the years that stretched behind her far exceeded the ones that still remained that it occurred to her that perhaps her primary task on earth was to learn as much as she possibly could from her time here, and that her major life lesson was to learn to trust in life itself. She would need to trust that each of her experiences (even the painful ones) offered her important lessons, and further, that often the ultimate value and quality of an experience is in direct proportion to what we do with it. 

In order for her to live fully and learn from her present, she concluded that she would need to let go of the pain from her past.

After reading this story it was obvious to me that this woman could have very well been me.  I spent a few years living in fear because of something terrible that had happened to me.  I am happy to report that I did learn the lesson well .

I suspect that for most of us, we must first encounter and then recover from a painful and involuntary loss before we can begin to understand that letting go needn't simply be about giving up.  On the contrary, it's as much about embracing as it is about releasing.  In letting go of what no longer serves us, we free ourselves to go to, to move closer towards that which sustains and nurtures our well-being and growth. In letting go of what no longer works, we make room for what does.   

I hope you all are blessed with a WONDERFUL Wednesday!

'On Ya'-ma  

6 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I think that story could have been written about me too, Ma, which I'm sure was the intent of the author to have us think if it could apply to us and then do something different like realizing how blessed we are and not to fear life. I know when I started really saying I trust in you Lord no matter what, it freed me up a bit from worry, though I still have those days :)

Have a great Wednesday!

betty

Kath said...

I find it very hard to let go of a few things Ma.Maybe it's time to heed your advise and try letting go of them one at a time.Lots of snow here at my place today and a howling wind.Brrr it is soooo cold.Have a wonderful Wendnesday Ma.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

JeanJournal said...

Letting go of the past is hard...and we can't really 'go forward' until we BEGIN to change our 'thinking' and put some feet on it...I'm overwhelmed! by TOO MANY POSSESSIONS and am dragging my feet about giving a lot of things away...As Kath says...It's time...and way past time...for me to LET GO ...even if it means ...ONE THING AT A TIME...(another summerlike day here)...I'm LOVING THIS EARLY SPRING! ~ Thanks Ma...for another really good post. ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun

Martha said...

I have a friend who sounds a lot like that woman. I've been talking to her about it all for years - she finally seems to be making a break through for the first time in her entire life. I can see how it can happen but can't imagine living in that kind of fear.
Hope your Wednesday has been wonderful!

jack69 said...

My most sincere thanks for this quote from Robbins:
I am no longer willing to drive into the future using my rearview mirror as my tool of navigation.
****************
What a great thought, it hits home about some things. It is never too late to do a u turn, so I will try.

Love the post as always, we made it near the coast of SC. Country RV park called The Oaks, Point south. We will set here for a week and do a little 'touristing'.

TARYTERRE said...

I too have spent time living in fear. Only recently have I been able to let some of it go. It is hard to do, for sure. That quote from Tony Robbins is perfect for me as I move forward. It bears repeating. "I am no longer willing to drive into the future using my rearview mirror as my tool of navigation." You take care, MA.