It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Chapter 4, Page 28, Book 12




You won't be happy with more until you're happy with what you've got. 

Viki King


SUPER Saturday!

Thinking about families and grandparents today.

I can remember the days when all I wanted was a large family.  There were several years in my married life that I thought that was never going to happen...so I spent many days wishing for babies and just about the time I accepted my life as it was, I got them and believe me when I say I was very happy with what I got.  

Who would have ever thought my family could grow to be such a large one. I have 16 grands with 2 more on the way.  7 children x a spouse for them all + 16 grands = 30 people and it will very soon be 32.  

When I think about 18 grands, I wonder how on earth I can possible be a good grand'ma' to that many.  I don't live close at all to many of them, and to those far away that don't know me, I'm probably little more than a name to them.    I keep in touch with cards and e-mails, but that isn't the same as having them close by for sure.  Thankfully the good Lord, blessed me with a few closer to home.  

My grandmothers weren't very close to home either, yet one of them managed to instill some long life values in my life and she was and always will be my hero.  The other grandmother was a wonderful cook and I'll never forget the good smells and wonderful soups and pastries that she made.  They were here specialty.

Hopefully in some small way, I can leave a lasting impression on my grandchildren too.  

I'll be celebrating at a baby shower for DD today.  Lots of my family will be there too.

Hope you all have a SUPER Saturday!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

Buttercup said...

Have a wonderful time at the shower! Thanks so much for your prayers. I'm having a good morning.

That corgi :) said...

Enjoy the shower Ma!!! I'm sure it will be a great one!! So much happiness and joy!! So great too with the grands you have! I think you are doing great with keeping up with them, even the ones that don't live close by. I didn't have much of a relationship with my two grandmothers; one was in Poland, I'm not even sure she was alive when I was born, the other only spoke Polish so there was a language barrier plus she was older and infirmed (she had my mom at 44, my mom was the baby, and my mom had her kids late so my grandmother was in her early 80s by the time I was old enough to remember her), then we moved when I was seven to California from Pennsylvania so never did get to know her. But I do know my mom shared lots of stories about her with us as we were growing up, so I got to know her that way. I'm sure your children are doing the same!!

betty

Martha said...

You are so blessed Ma! Have a wonderful time today :)

Kath said...

I am certain the Grandchildren who you do not see very much,know plenty about you Ma.Grandchildren grow older and seem to go thier own way at this time,and we may not see them as muuch as we would like,but I believe they always have a special place in thier hearts for thier Grandma's.I never knew my Grandparents,they died before I was born.Have a wonderful Baby Shower Day.You are the Perfect Grandma.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

JeanJournal said...

i am BLESSED! with my children three~~~Diane! Kathy! Steven! ~ and along with The grands and gr grands ~ THEY ALL MAKE MY LIFE A HOLIDAY! over and over and over! ~ ((((Hugs))) ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun ~~~

TARYTERRE said...

HOPE it was a WONDERFUL shower. You are a sterling influence on your grandchildren for sure. You have to make the moments you are together last. And when you can't be together there is Skype, cards, letters and pictures to share. ENJOY! Take care.

jack69 said...

You girl are one good mama, grand ma and Great grandma.
I appreciate your thankfulness and insights.
Love from down here, where we got a little chilly, but are warming up!

Have a great Sunday!