It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chapter 4, Page 19, Book 12



My Father, I pray that it may be mine to have the recollection of happy deeds, and not the memory of unkept promises. Help me to remember that one act is worth a thousand intentions, and that memory is the storehouse that supplies old age. Make me careful of my memory, that it may not be burdened. Amen

THANKFUL Thursday!

I found the little prayer above when reading a collection of prayers for April and it made me think about how THANKFUL I am that my memories are truly happy ones!

My 'babes' are always telling me how bad my memory is because I only remember the angels they were, not the little devils they could be.  I know they weren't perfect, and I'm sure they still are not perfect either, but why would I choose to think about the bad or sad times when I can think about the JOY they all are to me.

Memories can be a burden to us when we don't let go of the bad stuff. 



The heart keeps what it loves; what it dislikes it lets go.

 William Arnot


What has happened in the past is done and over.  Today is what matters most.  
Forgiveness helps to ease the way to a better day.





Some memories are realities, and are better than anything that can ever happen to one again.

 Willa Sibert Cather

Yes, there are a lot of memories that I'll never forget.  The good times in my life that will never be here again.  Moments that have taken my breath away for sure!

Today I'm thankful for all the good things I have to remember.  





Today will be another day to make good memories.  I'm thankful for today.

I hope your Thursday will bring lots of THANKFUL moments too!


'On Ya'-ma

10 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

What a poignant comment."Memories are the storehouse that supply old age." It is a shame that those memories fade or disappear when we get older.we have to hold onto them as long as possible. And make the most of them, like you said. Take care. hope you have a WONDERFUL day.

jack69 said...

One thing we have practiced in our marriage, is to keep every promise we make, or have a correct explanation.

Love from North Carolina. We are cool today, think I will bird watch some.

Hollie said...

Those good memories are what gets us through sometimes. I hope you have a BLESSED DAY!!

Thanks for all your encouraging words!!

That corgi :) said...

I like that you remembered your children as angels rather than the less than stellar things they did; great thoughts about memories; they are something to cherish in our lives indeed!

betty

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Thanks ... I needed this post today...Mom and i are traveling to Atlanta tomorrow for my grandsons Eagle Scout ceremony...there will be some there that bring on the "bad" memories....i'm just trying to celebrate the "JOY" of the occasion...

Enjoy

Kathy said...

What a beautiful post. I haven't been reading my favorite blogs for a while and I found yours today to be very moving. Have a good day and a beautiful weekend.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful post. I haven't been reading my favorite blogs for a while and I found yours today to be very moving. Have a good day and a beautiful weekend.

Kath said...

There are some bad memories I think often are very hard to forget.I do try to hold onto the good ones as much as possible Ma.They at times keep me joyful.Have a very Thankful Thursday.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

JeanJournal said...

I'm thankful today, Ma, that I'm at the weight I should be...have lost 74 pounds...since my husband died of a sudden heart attack 7 years ago...am wearing size 10 dress and jeans...my memories today are of him at 129 weight and I was 100 pounds...he was 6 ft,2in. tall...I was 5ft, 2 in. tall...my wedding dress was a size 7...Of course...I don't want to be any smaller now...(did not lose it on a diet...just wanted to eat right after he died...so I would be around longer for my 2 daughters and son as long as possible)...I'm thankful to weigh 113 now. SOME things we have to do ourselves...a few months before C W went to be with the Lord...I said to the Lord..."Why don't you help me lose this weight?"...silence...but the time came when I began to be sure i ate the right foods, in the right amounts, and OFF came the weight...I believe God's "timing" was right on scedule...WHAT AN AWESOME SAVIOUR! ~ HE really does know best and the "right" time. ~~~ Hugs ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun

Buttercup said...

I'm grateful for memories and for memories yet to be made. Had a fun dinner tonight with a friend of thirty years duration and so glad to be able to share good times with her. Wishes for a fabulous Friday.