It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chapter 3, Page 28, Book 12

The best things in life are nearest:  
Breath in your nostrils,
 light in your eyes, 
flowers at your feet, 
duties at your hand, 
the path of right just before you.  
Then do not grasp at the stars, 
but do life's plain, 
common work as it comes, 
certain that daily duties and daily bread 
are the sweetest things in life.  

Robert Louis Stevenson



WONDERFUL Wednesday/ Routines are wonderful

I have learned that having a routine is good for nearly all of us.  Adults need routine to get through their days and get all that they need to accomplish actually done. Kids need routine to have an understanding of how the world works and know what to look forward to on a daily basis.

There's something to be said for routine, and I'll go ahead and admit that as I grow older I get more and more fixed in mine. And sometimes, routine is lovely. There's something soothing about the ritual of making a pot of good coffee every morning.

 I believe that a well chosen routine brings a significent measure of peace to daily life.  Routines are great, but only if they bring joy.  I also believe that you should make your plans, but leave plenty of room for flexibility.

When life throws you a curve ball, one of the best coping mechanisms is sticking with your daily routine.  I remember a particularly hard time in my life when my youngest son went through some major surgery.  I had spent days and nights in the hospital with little sleep.  Finally he was released and I went back to my daily routine of going to work.  For the very first time in my life it felt really good to be back at my desk at work and doing routine things.  

There were plenty of other days that the thought of going through my daily routine just sounded exhausting to me and the best thing I could do for my spirits was to swing my feet out of bed and start going through my morning routine and head into work.

Lesson Learned:  Sometimes doing the hard thing is the best thing for us.  Keep faith that where you are today will pass, and better days are ahead.


Daily routines can greatly simplify your work day and personal life, as your day won’t be overly chaotic and complicated, you can group similar tasks together and batch process them, and you can be sure of doing the things you really need to do.
Most importantly, it puts you in control of your day, instead of putting you at the mercy of the ebb and flow of all incoming requests. Without a routine, we have no good way of saying no to requests as they come in, and we are at the beck and call of every person who wants our time. That’s not a good thing, not if you want to get the important things done.
Remember if your routine isn't working, you can make adjustments.  We all need to be flexible and willing to change.  

Have a WONDERFUL Wednesday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Sometimes that ebb and flow of life has things hitting from all directions. It can get overwhelming. But having a routine, like you said, can hold things in check. It is important, indeed. Take care, MA. Have a wonderful day. Love your NEW header photo.

That corgi :) said...

Your tree header picture is so colorful Ma! Must look great "in person"! I so agree about routines, we do take comfort in doing them, but I do also agree in being spontaneous if we can and not be "bound" by routines. For instance, if one cleans house on Fridays and one has a chance to get together with friendds and do something fun on Fridays, one should be flexible and ditch the housework and enjoy time with friends:)

have a great day!

betty

Joyful Days said...

Thank you for the thoughts on routines. Ours has been upended over the last several months. I would like to have it back. Boredom is underrated in my book.

Buttercup said...

I like my routines and I like the fun things that are out of the routine. I try to keep the routine from being a rut. Wishes for a wonderful Wednesday.

JeanJournal said...

I sure do like that tree, Ma...I have too many in my yard...and my son wants to cut some down...but so far, I have said no...ROUTINES are good....and keep me focused on what is the most important duties each day...I have to admit also that sometimes I just (DO MY OWN THINGS 'only' for awhile (watch a movie, read, walk, just sit quietly and count my blessings...Have a WONDERFUL! WEDNESDAY ~ rest of the day! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun) ~~~ in 80's here and SUNSHINE! Thanks, Ma, for your words today.