It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chapter 3, Page 22, Book 12



We need to embrace whatever age we are and own it.

 Sela Ward


THANKFUL Thursday!

God understands discouragement; discouragement is a normal and unavoidable emotion that we must all deal with. It comes to us in different ways, for different reasons, and at different times, but none of us escape discouragement. 

Just recently I had one of those discouraging kind of days.  The yard was a mess. Winter weather and high winds had scattered tree branches,and dead leaves over our property. The whole place needed a thorough cleanup.




I set to work, and soon I had assembled a sizeable stack of sticks. Grabbing a rake, I mounded dead leaves into a pile. Several hours passed. I stopped to check my progress; the yard looked neat and tidy. The grass was still brown and dry, but as I knelt for a closer look, I saw tiny green shoots. Spring was coming, but these signs hadn’t been noticeable until the debris was removed.

Sometimes our lives are like my yard -- brown, barren, and littered with debris. Like a thorough yard cleanup, the weeks of Lent give us a chance to examine ourselves, to focus on our own lives, and to remove the debris so new growth can emerge.

One way I found to to be helpful is to give thanks and praise.  Even praising when you don't feel it or you don't even want to.

One great way to do this is to start reciting all you have to be thankful for, out loud if possible.
Sometimes I use the alphabet praise method, finding something to be thankful for with each letter of the alphabet.  It's a great cure for discouragement



Although things are not perfect
Because of trial or pain
Continue in thanksgiving
Do not begin to blame
Even when the times are hard
Fierce winds are bound to blow
God is forever able
Hold on to what you know
Imagine life without His love
Joy would cease to be
Keep thanking Him for all the things
Love imparts to thee
Move out of Camp Complaining
No weapon that is known
On earth can yield the power
Praise can do alone
Quit looking at the future
Redeem the time at hand
Start every day with worship
To thank is a command
Until we see Him coming
Victorious in the sky
We'll run the race with gratitude
Xalting God most high
Yes, there'll be good times and yes some will be bad, but...
Zion waits in glory...where none are ever sad.


Author Unknown




I'm too blessed to be stressed

I hope your Thursday is a day that you can be THANKFUL for too!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

peggy said...

You are my go-to morning blog and I have been discouraged lately about all that needs to be done (especially outside) but.... oh my, do I have much to be thankful for and praise God for!!! It was good to read your alphabet this Thursday morning. I hope your Thursday will be terrific.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I love it...!!

"I'm to blessed to be stressed"

I love it...!!

TARYTERRE said...

I OWN my age, that's for sure. Grey hair and all. LOL Sometimes it seems like life is overwhelming, doesn't it? I liked your analogy about your yard. A nice alphabet, indeed. Take care.

That corgi :) said...

I like that alphabet of thanks, Ma! I hadn't thought of that before! I do the alphabet of praise when I think of something for each letter of the alphabet that represents God (like eternal, awesome, etc) but never thought of it for thanks. I'll have to keep that in mind! I bet you enjoyed seeing the "fruits of your labor" when you got to see the little sprouts of green growing on your yard!

betty

JeanJournal said...

I'm thankful today for being thankful...and not taking my blessings for granted...and for a happy attitude...NO MATTER WHAT COMES ALONG. ~ I REALLY LIKE THE ALPHABET POEM ~~~ I walked around on my little acre for awhile and enjoyed seeing the pretty sweet smelling blossoms on the apple tree...(have to watch out when I smell the blossoms...the (bees) like them too :) ~ also the dogwood tree is blooming...(((I'm too blessed to be stressed)))) love that quote...but I also some people ( who are tooooo streeeesssed to be blessed. Ma, your post today was a 'treat' ...as usual..Thanks ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Rome

grammy said...

I have been sadly absent... nice to catch up (o:
I like the idea of an ABC thank you prompt.

jack69 said...

ahhh Ma, I am late but thanks for the words, I need them today. trying to hear and straining to know what is going on, we have some sweet visitors, friends from childhood.
Oh, yes, thanks for encouragement. U B Sweet.