It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Chapter 2, Page 9, Book 12




Always look at what you have left.  Never look at what you have lost.

Robert H. Schuller


THANKFUL THURSDAY

Expecting her third child, one mother tells how her two children were suggesting names for the baby. Well, if it's a boy, said the oldest child, can we name him John?  Or if it's a girl, can we name her Mary?  Maybe so, said mother.  Finally, the youngest child, anxious to prove her intelligence, piped up, Well, if it is a dog, Mom, can we name it Lassie?

Children can sure bring us a lot of joy. At other times, they sure can be a real pain too. But one of the characteristics of a great person is one who welcomes and loves children.

Being a grand'ma' and a mom, I've had plenty of experiences of both, the JOY and the pain that children can bring into our lives.  Yes, I do have a very loving family, but that doesn't mean that all the moments have been joyful ones.  Still I think I tend to forget the bad and remember the good in all things.

I tried to do what I thought best when I raised my children.  I grew up with the belief that a good parent taught their children how to take care of themselves so that when they were adults, they could indeed succeed in living a good life.  I hope that I've done just that.  

 I will always be a mom, that is one thing that time doesn't change.  The things I do now though have changed.  One thing I do a lot of now is to pray for them.  I'm not there to tell them what to do anymore.  I can only hope that what I taught them has been of help, and I know that the good Lord can do a much better job of taking care of them than I ever could, so I pray.

I miss them all every day, but as I always say those that aren't with us anymore are really only as close as our hearts.  That's where I keep them all, right in my heart.

Do not focus on your list of regrets. Remind yourself that everything happens for a reason and count your blessings!

I'm counting my blessings today as always and I'm thankful for my family.

'On Ya'-ma

9 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Love the quote at the beginning of your post. I really needed your inspiration about children today. My youngest daughter is out in Arizona, alone, no money, lost her job and will be homeless at the end of the month. I pray for her every day and night. We are NOT in a position to help her financially. She is almost 40 years old and can't seem to stay on her feet, regardless of what we've taught her. It's a sad, sad situation. But your blog post today has given me inspiration and hope. That much I can hold onto. take care. thanks for letting me ramble.

jack69 said...

Love the comment/quote by Robert S. I always liked to hear him, I love a positive attitude.
Of course that is what everyone who drops by 'your house' gets is positive.
Love from Florida. Heading off to the hair dresser then to check our mail we try to do that every two weeks. But this week I have my Birthday present waiting there. HA!

Kath said...

Families are very hard work Ma.We as Mums hope we got it right bringing them up.I like you have a good family,though I do not see them as much as I would like to.No they don't always do as I would like them to either,but they do tell me now and again they feel they had a good upbringing and when they don't get it right it's not my fault but thier own,that lifts me plenty,just as your posts do from day to day.I pray for everyone around the world.Have a lovely day Ma.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

JeanJournal said...

KIDS SAY THE CUTEST THINGS! Art Linkletter had a good TV show about that. Our main job in life is to teach our children how to live for the Lord . . . But they make up their own minds when they are out on their own BUT WE CAN STILL PRAY FOR THEM! ~ Thank the LORD! for that! ~ GOOD WRITING TODAY! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl)

Scrappy quilter said...

Love the quote too. Prayer is powerful when it comes to praying for our kids. Hope you have a great day. Hugs

grammy said...

Your heart is very full Ma (o:
The four year old Grand said this just this morning...
"My Dad is an american, so he can grow a mustache."
Cracks me up!!!

betty said...

DAD sent me over today; although, I do check regularly on my own.
What beautiful thoughts on parenting and love of our children!
What to call the new baby brought back a memory.
I asked our daughter, four at the time, what would be a good name for the baby if it were to be a girl. Without blinking an eye, she responded, Mary, of course. Don't you know the nices people are named Mary: your Mother is Mary, my Sunday School teacher is Mary, and Jesus' Mommy is Mary.
The baby was a girl and we named her Mary.

Barb said...

I miss my children too, Ma, but like you, I pray for them every day. I made a lot of mistakes while raising them alone but did my best, as my Mom suggested. Having done that I am at peace...at least most of the time. lol
You, my sweet friend, are such an inspiration to me, to us all. love you much.

Rose said...

I love when you remind me to count my blessings as I sometimes forget to be grateful.

Hugs