It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chapter 2, Page 22, Book 12



WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY/ WONDERFUL LENT

In the English language, the special season before Easter is called Lent.  The word comes from the lengthening of daylight hours as we progress from the darkness of winter to the new light of spring.

Some say Lent is the the Season of 40 days.  The number 40 is mentioned a lot in the Bible and I got to thinking that maybe Lent is like Noah and his 40 days.  Noah was in his ark for 40 days and 40 nights.

40 is a pretty big number. When you are growing up, you can't really imagine being 40.  Now, a much needed rest is called... 40 winks; the best songs on the radio are called the... top 40; and life, they say, begins... at 40.


In some ways, during Lent, we need to think like Noah did when God told him to build the Ark.  There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, the meteorologists weren’t forecasting any rain or even snow
But God told him that the time was short, that he needed to get to work now for tomorrow it will be too late.  And Noah took time out of his busy schedule to work each day on building what God wanted him to build.   Lent is when we like Noah take time out of our busy schedule each day to work on building what God wants us to build, which is a heart full of faith hope and love.
After the great flood, no where on earth was the former environment Noah and his family had been subjected to. There would be a new environment that Noah had to wait for the waters to recede to see. So there was a time of waiting on the Lord.


Noah, his family, all living creatures, and the whole of creation had just endured 40 days of rain. God had brought this remnant through to dry land and a time to build again. They had begun that journey, through the water and they had arrived at a place of deeper relationship with God, a time to receive more completely the inheritance that God had planned from the beginning.

The 40 days of Lent is a time to remember that we are still in that stormy sea called life and our Lord is there taking care of us. 

During the next 40 days I'll be sharing a few of the ways that I'll be trying to overcome the darkness of winter to the new light of SPRING.  I hope you'll be joining me as I cruise through the days.

May this season of 40 Days be a blessing to us all!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

Hollie said...

Wonderful entry!!! Thaks for sharing!!

jack69 said...

I smiled at the flood graphic. Neat.
Forty yep a good number.
Time to move we are going back to Wildwood today. Nice weatehr here. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Looking for forward to your posts as usual.

Rose said...

I enjoyed this Post and the number 40!

JeanJournal said...

When I was a kid I thought 40 was OLD (really, SO OLD)...but now...since I'm getting along in years...I'm just enjoying the JOURNEY! ~ ((It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark ~ BUT ~ When GOD SPOKE to Noah! ~ He built the Ark!))) ~ It is good to be somewhere 'a-listening' for that 'still small voice'...Jean (Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun ~ Thanks for sharing your wisdom ...(("Thank You Dear Jesus, Today For ~ MA.")))

Jean said...

Thanks MA for sharing I will be following you on the next forty days. I didn't worry about turning forty like some people I've known now when I get close to doubling it! I still don't worry. Lol. Take care. Jean

grammy said...

Good post...I will be looking forward to what you come up with (o:

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVED this post. I admit I had never given much thought to the number 40 until you brought it up here. Very interesting all the things associated with it. Both of my daughters will be 40 in the next couple of years. Their lives are so much more complicated than mine was at that age. Have you decided what you are going to give up for lent. When I was a little girl it was always candy. My daughter has been working CRAZY shifts this week and I have been babysitting. So I have not gotten to comment as much as I normally do.'Take care.