It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, February 20, 2012

Chapter 2, Page 20, Book 12



If you can laugh at it, you can live with it.

Erma Bombeck


MERRY MONDAY / A smile to start the day

A young couple purchased a home in the northern part of the country from two elderly sisters.

Winter was fast approaching and they were concerned about the house’s lack of insulation. 
If they could live here all those years, so can we,  the husband confidently declared.
One November night the temperature plunged to below zero, and they woke up to find interior walls covered with frost. The husband called the sisters to ask how they had kept the house warm.
After a rather brief conversation, he hung up. For the past 30 years, he muttered, they’ve gone to Florida for the winter.

Going south for the winter just isn't an option here.  Even if I could, I think I'd miss home. I do laugh about it quite a bit.  It does get cold here in the winter time but I've never had to wake up to find frost on my walls.  I guess my house does have enough insulation, but it is an old house and it does get drafty.  I am blessed to have a good furnace that keeps me warm.  Of course heat in the winter can get expensive so I try to keep the thermostat set  to about 70 degrees.  This winter has been milder than most so I shouldn't be paying out as much as I did last year.  Still as the cost of everything keeps going up I may just have to anyway.

The only really bad thing about this winter is that it just seems to go on and on forever.

I read this little poem the other day and I think it one of those that I need to print out and put in front of me.

Sun glows for a day
Candle for an hour, 
Matchstick for a minute, 
But a good day can glow forever, 
So start your day with a smile...

A smile given typically gets one back.  Force one on your face as the alarm clock goes off to get things started.  Keep producing them throughout the morning and, before you know it, the smile becomes viral.  One foot in front of the other . . .


Have a MERRY Monday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

9 comments:

Donna said...

I'm going to use that Erma Bombeck quotation on my blog header for awhile!

Hollie said...

I'm so glad your Winter hasn't been nearly as rough as usual! Our's hasn't either! Love the quote!

jack69 said...

You are good! Hahahahahah,
Enjoyed the read . Especially a reminder of Bombeck.

But I love the option of staying warm in the winter. hahaha

We had a friend from the upper part of Maine, they said that was the only way they could stay warm in the winta!

CINDY said...

Happy Monday to you also. I hope all is well. I have to catch up on everyone's blog. I've been away too long from blogging. Hope 2012 is a good year for you.

Scrappy quilter said...

We've had a wonderful winter too. We have a brand new furnace however an older mobile home. We keep our temps down too. Hope you have a wonderful day. Keep smiling!! You bring a smile to us everyday with your wonderful posts. Hugs

JeanJournal said...

I'm home and here the sun is shining...temps in the 40's...and OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY! ~ ((I'M COUNTING MY BLESSINGS ~ WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE ~ BECAUSE I JUST READ A POST ~ MA ~ SENT MY WAY.)) ~ Blessya! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun (Erma Bombeck is A SMILE GIVER for sure.

grammy said...

Funny!
I have been thinking more and more about the idea of going to Florida for a season. I could not stay away from the Grands that long. I have not got the MONEY either. Oh well... how much longer can this last anyway??? (o:

Buttercup said...

We've had the mildest winter I can remember, and that includes three years in Tennessee. I feel so blessed to not worry about slipping on ice and snow. Have a merry Monday!

TARYTERRE said...

Love the quote and the poem. My house is very old. Years ago I think the temperatures hit 20 below zero here or something close. Our front door and all the windows inside had a solid layer of frost on them, icicles forming. NEVER saw anything like it before or since. So I understand more than most about the little story you told. I wish Florida were an option. Sadly, it's not. Laughter is indeed the cure to what ails you and so much more. take care.