It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Chapter 1, Page 8, Book 12




R AND R SUNDAY / A DAY TO REST

Sunday is the day of the week to rest and relax, worship, spend some quality time with our family and friends.  Some find it very hard to break away from household duties and chores and let go of work one day a week, but I've found that your accomplishments will be greater if you take Sundays off.  Because our world now seems to operate 24/7,  your Sunday may be a different day of the week, but it can be a day of rest anyway

What we need is time to stop and time to rest. For the sake of our personal health and well-being, everyone needs to have a weekly, regular day off.  

Relaxing on Sundays remind us of why we work all week.  We need to take time to appreciate all that we've accomplished during the week.  When you think about it, God finished all His work in 6 days and then rested on the 7th.  He took time to look around and see what he had accomplished.  

A good way to look at relaxation is to put off doing anything that might be on a To Do list.  Another way to look at it might be refraining from anything that is not peaceful.  We need to stop what we habitually do, and enjoy the fact we've done some things this week that have made our lives better.  

Sunday rest gives us the time and space to enjoy the exquisite shape and glowing color of a daffodil or a rose, the soft fur of a beloved pet, the inviting smell of soup or bread or a scented candle.  Sundays give us time to refuel, and to renew our relationships with those we love.

I hope that you didn't need me to remind you to get some rest and relaxation today!
May your Sunday is a restful one!

'On Ya'-ma

9 comments:

Kath said...

I have always rested on a Sunday Ma.I am not a church goer, but I do believe we should rest on the Sabbath.I am resting now I suppose, here in my computer chair,doing these comments for a while.I hope you get plenty rest today.Take Care God Bless Kath xxx

Buttercup said...

I'm having a lovely time visiting with blog friends. Just "came back" from England and a quick drop-in with Sibyl. Have a wonderful and blessed day!

That corgi :) said...

I am making it more of a point to rest on the Sabbath these days, Ma. I know we would always go grocery shopping or I would throw in a load of clothes. In this near year, I resolved not to do any type of work on Sunday like that, no cleaning, laundry, and even not going to try to spend money on Sundays for groceries, etc. Might go to a movie or out to dinner if the budget allowed it but otherwise, we've been pretty much resting on Sundays after church. I do find it more refreshing indeed! Thanks for always reminding us to rest today!

enjoy your restful day!

betty

Sybil said...

Certainly been a nice rest and relaxing day for me here in Box. Church this morning was wonderful I think my very fav.service it is the annual Covenant Service when we Methodists renew our covenant with God a very special day. Afterwards went for lunch with Beth Max was supposed to be with us but they had been at a party last night and not home till 5am !he was still asleep !! Beth was a bit like a half shut knife herself LOL This afternoon we have had had our friend in for tea...now relaxing on the computer..
Hope you have had a good day..
Love Sybil xx

Hollie said...

You are so right about having a hard time resting or taking a day off! I find it hard to do myself. I hope you have a wonderful day of rest!

jack69 said...

Good entry. It reminds me of how Sunday has become just another day in many lives.
I do miss the time when most things stopped on Sunday except the essentials.

Sometimes by adapting, we miss a lot of life.

JeanJournal said...

...Because our world seems to operate 24/7 ~Aint that the truth! (To use some bad language) But the truth is ~ We have (choices) ~ Thank God for America! ~ Loo o n g may our flag fly! To me, Sunday is church day,unless I'm sick,(didn't go today...felt exhasted most of day...so I had plenty of R & R ~ I love the poem SLOW ME DOWN LORD (I google it often) One of my GOALS for 2012 IS "Do something NEW each day." to kinda shake up the routine. (a lot of good advice today, Ma. ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl

Sonya said...

I agree it's good for the soul to have a day of down time. My Sunday's DO have some TO DO's on there but it's usually things I enjoy. I DO make sure I get lots of R/R in my weekend though. Because I'm in a bad mood on Monday if I don't get it. lol

TARYTERRE said...

R&R is the key to a healthy, happy life. SSH. Don't tell anyone. But my knees were bothering me so bad today, I didn't take down the inside Christmas decorations. Will do it tommorrow. OUTSIDE they're done. So I just kicked back and relaxed. Made a meatloaf. And watched some TV. It felt wonderful to unwind. I don't do it enough in my life. Glad you relaxed too. Take care.