It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, January 06, 2012

Chapter 1, Page 6, Book 12


Celebrating Epiphany

Work of Christmas Begins 
Howard Thurman (adapted)

When the song of the angels is stilled, 
when the star in the sky is gone,   
when the kings and princes are home,
when the shepherds are back with the flocks,
then the work of Christmas begins:
to find the lost
to heal the broken spirit
to feed the hungry
to release the oppressed
to rebuild the nations
to bring peace among all peoples  
 to make a little music with the heart… 
And to radiate the light of Christ, 
every day, in every way, 
in all that we do 
and in all that we say
Then the work of Christmas begins.
The message of the Epiphany announces to all people,everywhere:
Rise up in splendor…your light has come,
The Glory of the Lord shines upon you!
Let the work of Christmas begin, and let it begin with me.

I think that's the real message of Epiphany. 
 Today, I'll be packing away all the Christmas decorations here at my house, but I certainly hope that even though Christmas is over, I'll be remembering always to keep that Christmas spirit alive in my heart.  There will be, of course, some new trinkets and baubles adorning the tables and shelves around here.  January is here and we've had a cold and snowy start to the New Year here.  Dreary winter days can get to me and so I try to always keep something shiny and bright on display.
There are no donkeys for us to ride, no camels to take us through the desert. We are left mostly to walk through our days, dependent on our own two feet. But knowing that the work of Christmas is just beginning, I will be making the best of every day that's given to me.


Have a fantastic Friday everyone!  

'On Ya'-ma

10 comments:

peggy said...

We packed up the Christmas things yesterday at my daughter's. I like that you said the work of Christmas is just beginning. I hope we can get a lot done this year.

jack69 said...

Good stuff, but it is hard for us who read the bright'always up for it all' MA to let any weatehr get her down.
But I think I know what you mean. Humans have that moment every once in awhile, it just seems that some have it all the time.

Love to the POSITIVE Lady in Ohio. We think of you with every Ohio tag we pass in the park. I think I will count them one day. I'm tempted to ask, "Hey, do you know MA!" haha!

Kath said...

The weather does play a big part in how we feel Ma,well thats my opinion.This year I have already complained of the terrible storms we have encounted this week,but I have also thought of you and what you say often and tried to look on the bright side of life.I think I am winning after all.Have a great Friday Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Elizabeth said...

Hope you are enjoying your friday.
I do so appreciate your kind comments on my blog

Coopy said...

I took down our tree and packed it safely away until next year. I've made a magnificant new years resolution that I should not even be tempted to break & we are on a budget diet. We are paying off the rest of our debt on a very aggressive payment schedule. This year is starting out very well. Hugs to you.

Hollie said...

All of our Christmas items are packed away for another year also! I must admit I miss the beautiful tree. I think that's one of favorite things.....cutting the lights out & leaving the tree on. It's so beautiful!

That corgi :) said...

I like that work of Christmas Begins. That is something to take into heart, Ma, and to live the next months like that until we approach next year's Christmas season (which will come so quick I think). Lots of work to do to get out there to help others and make our light shine!

Growing up we would take our decorations down after January 6. Lots of people here still have their's up, I imagine this weekend will be a time for starting to pack away Christmas until next year, but let the spirit of it always live in our hearts indeed!

betty

Buttercup said...

Will put away the very last of my decorations tomorrow. Did the last at the office yesterday. We had glorious weather today and got to take a walk at lunch time. Have a wonderful weekend!

TARYTERRE said...

The Epiphany is here at long last. NOW like you said, the real work of Christmas truly begins. Lots of things to do spiritually throughout the year. Where to begin? My decorations come down tomorrow. I spent the afternoon at the doctors today and couldn't do it.

JeanJournal said...

Our weather was in the 60's today...beautiful bright sunshiny day! It is very rare to get snow. I read this quotation from a little book I bought today(that reminds me of you, Ma, ("Happiness walks on busy feet.") Kitte Turmell) Your happiness spills out on us every day, in every post, THANK YOU! Jean(Rome Georgia girl