It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chapter 1, Page 31, Book 12




Smiling is infectious
You catch it like the flu
When someone smiled at me today
I started smiling too
I walked around the corner
And someone saw me grin
When he smiled I realised
I had passed it on to him
I thought about the smile
And then realised its worth
A single smile like mine
Could travel round the earth
So if you feel a smile begin
Don't leave it undetected
Start an epidemic
And get the world infected.

It's TERRIFIC 2'S Tuesday!/ happiness and sadness are both infectious diseases! 

Researchers have provided definitive evidence that positive and negative emotional states act like infectious diseases, spreading through social circles. Also, a single instance of discontent doubles your chance of becoming unhappy, while one happy occasion increases your chances of being happy by only 11 percent. So in order to beat the moody blues, you have to experience almost five times more happy than sad.

The good news is that you don't need to catch happiness from other people, although you can, happy is more likely to occur spontaneously than sad. But don't rely on random acts. Take control of your ailment and write yourself a prescription for a booster shot of good vibes at least once a day. Don't worry, the prognosis is all good.

You’ve probably read countless articles that promise you better happiness, only to be disappointed. I know what it’s like to not get exactly what you’re looking for from an article.

Here are 5 positive steps I've found that really help when I need a boost 

Be Here, Now
Most people are stuck in either the past or the future; recalling bad memories, or imagining bad things happening in the future. The good news about the past is that it's over. And the future? Well, it isn't here yet, is it?By being in the here and now, you will be more aware of what's going on, and you will be feeling much happier as you return your awareness to your body. And yes, that means even when you’re feeling bad. It’s crucial to stay aware when you’re feeling bad

Cherish Your Relationships
Imagine going to the end of your life. If you somehow could imagine the last 24 hours of your life, think about what would be important to you at that point in time. Is it money? Is it appreciating the fact you worked 30 years at a job you despised? Or is it the people around you, and the experiences you’ve had?

Kindness
Remember an experience when either you gave something to someone or received something. It feels good, doesn’t it? It feels good to give, and it feels good to receive. Kindness can be tough at first if you haven’t practiced giving, but as you become more comfortable with giving and helping, you’ll come to like it.

Follow Your Heart
Most people are out of touch with their emotions and particularly with their hearts. We've been conditioned to be logical and to have everything make perfect sense. The only problem is that life doesn't really make sense all the time. And some of the greatest opportunities and adventures of life are not discovered by logic, but by following your gut and your intuition.

Knowledge is power, knowledge is fun—and it can help send your sadness away for good.

Doing something new to you is a good cure for the blues.  Something as simple as perfecting your grandmother's pie crust recipe to memorizing one good joke can give you just the remedy you need.

Hope you all have a TERRIFIC Tuesday!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

jack69 said...

I love that little poem, SMILES something that can work miracles.

Love you five!!!!

Hope your day is great, of course it will be, you have forged your mind that way!
Love from Florida 62 headed for the 80's today, is Spring near??

Coopy said...

As someone who lives with, NOT suffers with, a serious auto immnune order out of control right now, there is a clear and distinct difference between voicing about an illness or getting caught in the belly of the whale with an illness. I AGREE, happiness is crucial to live a blissful and joy filled life.

For me, I love your post. Some will take it offense as they will feel it may attack them for being sick. I take it as an addition to the my treatment. I blog, i write my journal snippet then I put it away and find what God has laid out for me today. I have days as many do but I never allow myself to wake up on a 2nd day feeling as badly as I may have on the day before. It's just a rule. I don't like breaking it.

When I feel my worst, like yesterday in the ER, I feel best when someone takes a moment to smile at me, send up a prayer or come tell me a little story about something you went through & how you came out on the other side.

I know this for sure with all my heart. GOD IS EVER PRESENT on good and bad days. Smiling or touching a hand is better than any medicine I've been brave enough to take. Purging one thoughts from the brain can clear your way to a better day.

Oh.... and good friends are worth more than any lottery ticket could ever give me in cash... but, I wouldn't hurt to have a little cash too!

HUGS TO YOU TODAY. Wonderful post.

Kath said...

It has been a sad week for me this week Ma,but my heart tells me to keep on smiling.I love to give too,so I am giving to you a smile and a hug today on this Terrific
Tuesday :-) {{{HUG}}}.Have a great day Ma.Take Care God Bless.Kath xxx

grammy said...

enjoyed catching up...
I love to be happy and smile.... love my husband... but he is not the laugh out loud kind of person. I think I need to watch some clips of funny videos... they always make me laugh.
Because of my Senior moments I already forgot what I was going to say about the other past posts of yours I just read. Yikes

TARYTERRE said...

Loved that about quote about giving yourself a booster shot of GOOD vibes. My daughter suffers from SAD. And she struggles during this time of year. Smiles help. take care.