It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, January 23, 2012

Chapter 1, Page 23, Book 12

JOY
 by Rabindranath Tagore

And Joy is Everywhere;
It is in the Earth's green covering of grass;
In the blue serenity of the Sky;
In the reckless exuberance of Spring;
In the severe abstinence of grey Winter;
In the Living flesh that animates our bodily frame;
In the perfect poise of the Human figure, noble and upright;
In Living;
In the exercise of all our powers;
In the acquisition of Knowledge;
in fighting evils...
Joy is there
Everywhere



MERRY MONDAY!

As you all know I have a very hard time with winter.  I don't like the cold and I don't like the dreary short days.  But on THE BRIGHT SIDE of things, this winter has been much milder than the past few have been.  I don't know if this is the calm before the storm or not, but so far the snow we have had has been much less than last year and the cold we've had has been short lived as our weather keeps rebounding giving us some days above freezing that melts all the snow we've had.

I've had some very quiet days which have enabled me to do many things I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.  I've been sorting and tossing some things away around here, I've been able to sit quietly and pray along with my Scripture readings each day.  I've also been blessed by some family gatherings too.  We were able to get together for a New Years dinner even though it was a week late.  And my youngest son and his family came in for a visit with me this past weekend.  It was his birthday and surprisingly he wanted to spend some time with me to celebrate.  I did some cooking and baking for that and I do love to feed my family. My two children and their families that live here in town also came over to share in the celebration.   Cooking is a whole lot more fun when there is more than just me here.

Next weekend will be another time of family celebration and I'll be able to once again be with quite a few of my family as we celebrate another January birthday and one for February too.  We'll all be doing the Stroll for Epilepsy which is a fund raiser to help those with this disease.  One of my darling grand daughters is afflicted by this disabling disease and as many of us as possible try to support her by participating in the stroll.  All that will be weather dependent as it does involve some traveling so I'm praying that it will be one of those weekends where the weather treats us kindly.

So today I really am thinking that JOY is everywhere.  It's a good thing to hang onto as I know winter is not quite halfway through with us yet.

Have a MERRY Monday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

jack69 said...

You sound like a contented mother. I know the kids enjoy being there and the food is an additional joy.

Ah ha! Do I spy Ice Cream ont he table???

as always good post today. 71 and sunny meaning we will probably rteach the 80's today.
It does get COLD down here, but the sun quickly dispells it.

Scrappy quilter said...

Our winter has been wonderful too. We've had 5 days of cold, otherwise about 1 inch of snow and warms temps. I'm loving it.

I always love seeing pictures of your family gatherings. They always look so warm and inviting. Hugs

grammy said...

I keep thinking this warm weather is the calm before the storm!!! Kind of like you (o:
It is great to have family together... I am kind of bad at that. Cooking a big dinner has never been my thing... and now it makes me sooo tired!
Have a great walk for a great cause!

JeanJournal said...

You have a loving family...Glad you had some extra JOY! ~ I also had some extra JOY! on Sunday & Monday. My granddaughter visited Sunday evening & night and left around 3:oopm today. She likes OtherMama's biscuits & milk gravy for breakfast...and I enjoyed cooking that for us. I'm partial to the other seasons instead of winter...and...am already counting the days to Spring. Blessya! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl)

Jean said...

I bet it was so nice to have some of the family for a visit and a good meal. It all looks so good. It has been a wet day here and the temperature in the high 70's feels like summer. Lol. Take care. Jean

TARYTERRE said...

Winter and I have an understanding. Stay out of my way. LOL It has been a very mild one, for sure. It has kept my Cabin Fever at bay. Your family is beautiful gathered at your table. Must be delightful to share such special moments. I hope your Stroll for Epilepsy fund raiser goes off without a hitch. I'll say a little prayer the weather cooperates. JOY is everywhere. Loved the poem. take care.