It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chapter 1, Page 22, Book 12


I’m not striving to perform perfectly; I’m just looking for harmony.
Ellen Gibson

There is a story about a beautiful tree that was tall, graceful and mature. Everyone who saw it could only admire it. During the spring it would burst into life, in the summer its leaves were a sight to behold, in the autumn it shone brighter than gold and in winter it stood solid and firm withstanding the cold and wind. One day its roots burst into conversation: Although no one sees us we give you strength to be as tall as you are. Although we seem barren and hidden, we pull up water and nutrients. You as a tree are only as good as your roots.

At this the soil interrupted: My dear tree and dear roots, do you not realize that it is the soil which is so often taken for granted and the least praised, which gives you all you have and makes you what you are. Without me, you would not exist. I give you nourishment, security and strength. I am the one who holds you firm. Without me the soil you are nothing.

And so the story goes on to say that all three of them argued it out. Eventually all of them realized that to find the balance, all three of them had to work together with each one as important as the next.

The same can be said of life. Are we sometimes like the tree forgetting about the soil and roots? Do we sometimes feel off balance, without depth or meaning? Or do we strive for balance drawing strength and nourishment from what we believe in, from our family and friends, from love filled moments, from accepting each day as God's precious gift to us, from enjoying the simple moments and treasuring the good news to be found in our daily lives?

This thought for today was found while reading my daily devotionals this week.  
Hope your Sunday is filled with that much needed R and R today!  Know that you all remain in my thoughts and prayers!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

Kath said...

You are in my thoughts too Ma.Have a lovely day.Loved the story and so true too.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Hollie said...

What a great entry & so true! Thank you doe sharing! Keeping you in my thoughts also! Have a BLESSED DAY!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Have a great day!

Sybil said...

Thank you for these lovely wise words Ma. sorry I have not been around lately at least to comment...but you are always in my prayers and thoughts.
Love Sybil xx

jack69 said...

Imaginations are good. That is what makes us humans different being able to think logically and to think, 'Not like the Tree' HA! Ohhhh, I forgot we are alot like the tree in our thinking. right?
Love and 84 outside, time to go down and feed teh fish.

JeanJournal said...

WONDERFUL! story, Ma. I'm just soaking in R & R today. In 50's here in Calhoun, Georgia. NO sunshine ~ but still a beautiful day!...I like to view the trees swaying and the chimes outside making music as the wind swirls them around...and hear the rain on my roof and splashing into puddles in the yard. I guess I'm a nature girl. Your tree story reminds me of the poem that begins with (~~~I think that i shall never see...A poem lovely as a tree...a tree that looks at God all day...And lifts her leafy arms to pray.) I enjoy all the comments, also...and Ma...You and All are in my thoughts and prayers daily. ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl)

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE this story about the TREE. So inspirational. Can definitely apply this to life. So much wisdom there. Take care.