It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chapter 1, Page 14, Book 12


She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

Proverbs 31:25

SUPER Saturday/ Do you have SUPER strength?

I have a feeling that the Proverbs lady isn't laughing because she thinks the future will be happy funny. She laughs because she is strong enough to pursue her dreams, knowing full well that life will throw all kind of obstacles in her way, and the only way to get through those obstacles without feeling completely overwhelmed and discouraged is to find it the humor in it.

Reasons to laugh now
Lower blood pressure. Initially upon laughing, blood pressure increases, but then falls below normal levels and as breathing deepens blood becomes more oxygen and nutrient rich.
Strengthen immune system. Laughter increases the number of natural killer cells that like to eat viruses for breakfast, as well as certain cancer cells.  Antibodies are also increased , which is especially helpful for respiratory infections.
Reduce stress, irritation, depression and anger.  In short, laughter changes our biochemical state significantly by decreasing stress hormones, relaxing muscles and upping antibodies that fight infection.
Connect socially. People are drawn to happy people.  No one wants a sour-puss.  Living is challenging enough without someone frowning and whining in your face.  And if you have something to laugh about, people will naturally want to laugh with you.   
Workout for the lazy. Or busy.  Anyone, really.  Laughter not just works out the abs, but also works on the facial, leg, back, diaphragm and respiratory muscles. 
Reduce pain. Laughter releases endorphins which are more potent than morphine and reduce the feeling of pain. 

…and laugh at yourself.
You’ll make yourself more approachable and human to others.
Gain control. You’ll take away the opportunity of others to make fun of you.
Take things lightly.  You won’t take yourself so seriously and realize that everyone stumbles.  And really, most of the time the situation is minor and not as earth-shattering as it appears.
Change your perspective.  You’ll see things from a different perspective, which may offer a solution or new way of thinking.  It’s all in the way one looks at a situation.  Look at it with humor and you’ll gain a healthy control over it.But don’t start to make fun of yourself to the point of self-degradation.  Always love and respect yourself.  Humans make mistakes. 

Have a SUPER Saturday everyone...LAUGH!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

peggy said...

I guess the things we need to laugh about today are no more or less what the proverbs lady faced. Guess she would just sing I am woman, hear me roar...Staying home today, just a little snow out there but six inches at Ray and Lisa's, west of here. Have a good Saturday.

jack69 said...

I love to laugh. It seems that few things hit my funny bone lately, and I miss it. Maybe I should try to look up some old Laurel and Hardy stuff.

53 here and a little cool for Florida, but this Florida sun will warm things up.

Jean said...

We're having some cold weather here in South Alabama the pass few days. Good post MA. I like to see people laugh, lol. Some time when I around the grandkids I will think of some thing to start me laughing and they will all start laughing not knowing what it's all about. The more I laugh they will. It's fun to see them do that. Take care. Jean

Barbara said...

My husband is better at this than me, on the whole. He makes a mistake and laughs, I make a mistake and feel frustration but thankfully I do not stay there.

Buttercup said...

This is a keeper! I can use all of the reasons you list and the last...it just feels good. Hugs and wishes for a sweet Sunday.

JeanJournal said...

Well, Ma, another good one today and about laughing ~ It is ALWAYS GOOD for us! I've heard that watching funny TV can get rid of all kinds of ailments ~ and when WE make someone laugh ~ It Blesses them! and us! ~JeanJournal(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun)

TARYTERRE said...

I'm playing catch up reading all blogs I missed, now that I'm feeling a little better. May take me a week, though. LOL This post of yours tickled my funny bone. All GREAT points. Seriously, humor is the way to command a serious situation and make it managable.