It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chapter 12, Page15, Book 11


THANKFUL THURSDAY

Today I'm thankful for all the customs and traditions of the Advent and Christmas seasons.  I've already mentioned quite a few and today I'm sharing another with you.  I know that bits and pieces of many customs and traditions are celebrated here at my house and maybe you have some that I've never heard of.  
 
Las Posadas is a religious and social celebration that takes place for nine nights, from December 16th to the 24th.  Las posadas means inns or shelters in Spanish.  The holiday commemorates Joseph and Mary's journey to Bethlehem and their search for shelter prior to the birth of Christ.  Las Posadas is a reenactment of this difficult journey.  It is an elaborate preparations for La Navidad (Christmas) in Mexico and some Central American countries.  Paper bags with lit candles are placed along walkways to light the way for Christ.  They are called farolitos or lumanaries.

I've not celebrated this holiday but I  do remember when my children were young every one made these luminaries by decorating empty plastic milk jugs and then the church would line the walkways on Christmas eve with them.  So in some small way I guess we were participating in Las Posadas.  They do make a beautiful sight.  The custom continues too as I saw them on my way into to church last Christmas.

I hope that by carrying out our family traditions my children will hold them very dear to their hearts and pass them on to their children too.  Christmas is not about how much you can buy but how much you can give of yourself. It's about making those you love and those around you feel full of joy. It's about the many memories you make and hold close. Life is a wonderful journey if you take the time to notice what joys you can gather along the way.

I'm thankful for our traditions and the great memories.

I hope your Thursday is one you can be thankful for too.

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Hollie said...

I love the luminaries! They are just gorgeous! I love family traditions also! They mean so much!! I hope you & your family have a wonderful get together this weekend!!! Merry Christmas to you all!!!

jack69 said...

I have never heard of Las Posadas, but I have seen the luminaries, I did not know the source of them. So another lesson in History from MA. Thanks. And I hope you are progressing well with the Wise Men. That also is very unique to me.

Take care and enjoy the Season, as I know you will...

That corgi :) said...

I'm familiar with Las Posadas because of living in a place so close to the border we get a lot of Mexican culture up here too. When we lived in Montana, the street we lived on would put up farolitos every Christmas, light our driveways and walkways in remembrance of a young boy that had died years ago on one of the streets (bike accident if I remember) and he always like farolitos. So someone started the tradition the first Christmas to honor him and it continued on until at least 2005 which was our last Christmas in Montana. It was such a beautiful site to drive up and down the streets that participated. The city would turn off the street lights, just the glow of the farolitos. Lots of hard work though to make them though and light them :)

Being thankful for customs and traditions is a great thing indeed!

Enjoy the day Ma!

betty

grammy said...

I loved reviewing your posts. You are always so uplifting and positive. I have a whole post I need to write on 'Traditions" and my personal search to find them (o:
I do love luminaries...we had ONE party here where the daughter lined the walk with little sacks filled with sand and a candle. It was very pretty!!

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend. Our weather has been nice. 40's but no snow. We have had our fair share already.

TARYTERRE said...

One of the neighborhoods in my area light up the night with farolitos. It is breathtaking because every house participates. My daughter recently moved to Arizona, so I was aware of Las Posadas. Take care and enjoy celebrating your traditions.