It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 03, 2011

Chapter 12, Page 3, Book 11


This is one of the slates I painted for my children quite a few years ago. 


Santa's elves

All dressed in their red and green
Santa's elves, a sight to be seen

Their workshop is busy through the night
Christmas is coming, everything must be right

Scurry from here, and rush to there
Wherever you look, there are elves everywhere

Toys to be made, wrapped and packed
Addresses to check, toys go to the sacks

Santa's sleigh to wash, polish and shine
So much to do, so little time

As December draws nigh, the pace quickens
At last, Christmas Eve, harness up Blitzen

The reindeers are ready and Santa's sleigh!
Up into the sky, Santa is away

Author unknown


Being the kid at heart that I am, I find myself intrigued and thrilled by the whole concept of a little elf coming into one's home at the start of the Christmas season.  Maybe this isn't the greatest way to reflect upon the Reason for the Season, but it is a lot of fun and brings  Joy to those that have one.


Elf on the shelf is one of many  popular Advent traditions enjoyed by many families.  It's a cute little game that involves an elf that hides every evening for the family to find the next day.

The elf reports back to Santa each day so that he knows who is being naughty or nice.  

I gave everyone in my family the Elf on the Shelf gift one year for Christmas and I 'm hoping they are still enjoying it this year.  Elf magic can happen around your house too without buying an expensive game.  You can fill your advent calendar with all the little things you can think of that an elf might do while visiting your house.  I have one of those calendars that have pockets to put things in for each day of Advent and this is the perfect place to put notes from my Christmas Elf.  The little notes might say some things like

Elf goes shoe sledding
Read a Christmas story. Elf will be sitting in the living room with all the Christmas stories and reading a new book
Get dressed up for supper.  Elf is going to decorate our kitchen with snowflakes.
Elf sleeps in the pantry
Elf decorates with candy canes
Elf sticks pictures of himself everywhere.
Elf draws on the bathroom mirror
Elf leaves post-it notes all over the house
Elf decorates a mini tree
Elf hides inside the laundry basket
Elf makes red and green breakfast
Elf brings a new coloring book and colors in it
Elf puts Christmas stickers everywhere
Elf hides chocolates around the house

There are all sorts of things that might be included in the little elf notes...it is just a game to have fun with while counting down the days until Christmas.

Here at my house today I'm in need of an elf on my shelf.  This Santa 'ma' is very busy in her workshop.  Christmas just isn't very far away at all.  

Hope your all have a SUPER Saturday.  

'On Ya'-ma

4 comments:

jack69 said...

Like the fun ELF entry. I think we all enjoy thinking of fantasy things.
This reminded me of the wealthy elf from a couple days ago when he gave away $20,000 in $100 bills in a poor neighborhood, he wore a red hat that read ELF.
Thanks for brightening up a day.

That corgi :) said...

Three weeks from today Christmas Eve! I have to say, Ma, I hadn't heard of the Elf in the Shelf hiding thing until last night and then now I read it on your blog; it is such a cute idea! I might have to look into that for my neice and her family for next year (she has three young children). I also was on another blog yesterday about a cute story of a young man with disabilities who was intrigued with elves and had captured one. Here's the link to that if you want to read it:

http://shellysm.blogspot.com/2011/12/catching-elf.html

Enjoy your busy preparations!!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE the decorated slate. What a GREAT game. Have never heard of Elf on the Shelf. Sounds delightful.take care.

Barbara said...

Very artistic Christmas slate you made Ma.