It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, December 26, 2011

Chapter 12, Page 26, Book 11




Celebrating the 12 days of Christmas  / ON THE 2ND DAY OF CHRISTMAS...

I love the 12 days of Christmas Poem and all the fun you can have celebrating these days, the possibilities are endless

Some folks observing these Twelve Days may give gifts on each of them, with each day of the Twelve Days representing a wish for a corresponding month of the new year. They feast and otherwise celebrate the entire time through Epiphany morning. 

Lighting a candle for each day has become a modern tradition and of course singing the appropriate verses of the famous song each day is also an important and fun part of the celebrations. Some also light a  Yule Log on the first night and let it burn some each of the twelve nights. During the ancient 12 day Christmas celebration, it was considered unlucky to let the log in the fireplace stop burning. This log was called the Yule log and would be used to light the fire in New Year, to ensure that good luck carried on from year to year.

Another myth is that for every mince pie you eat over the 12 days of Christmas you will have a month of good luck the following year!

Yesterday, Christmas, was the 1st day of these 12 days of Christmas and I think we all know how the song goes...On the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me...A Partridge and a Pear tree.

The song about the 12 Days of Christmas was originally meant to remind children of their religion lessons and below is what each day symbolized

1 Partridge and a Pear Tree = Jesus
2 Turtle Doves = The Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens = Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues
4 Calling Birds = the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
5 Golden Rings = The first Five Books of the Old Testament, the Pentateuch, which gives the history of man's fall from grace.
6 Geese A-laying = the six days of creation
7 Swans A-swimming = the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
8 Maids A-milking = the eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing = the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-leaping = the ten commandments
11 Pipers Piping = the eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming = the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed 

As my family is grown and it's a quiet time of the year for me I've decided that this year these 12 days will take o little different twist so I'll be sharing what I do to celebrate each day.

The 12 days of Christmas is the song  I am singing. It started on  December the 25th and will continue on through January 5th
December 25th: Day One A partridge in a pear tree.  It seems there are only sparrows and finches in my trees.   These two boys are much prettier than that.  This picture remind me that I am loved a lot.  I received this picture for Christmas last year and I just love it because it talks.  I press a button on the top and their dear sweet voices say...We love and miss you Grand'ma'.  Merry Christmas!  How sweet is that!

December 26th: Day Two Two turtle doves are very rare and nowhere could I find a pair. But ornaments have added beauty to my tree, and commemorate the past year with family.  DS# 5 is an artist, indeed he teaches art and for quite a few Christmases he painted these ornaments as gifts each year.  They are very precious and are always a part of my Christmas decorations.

  I'll be back tomorrow with more of my 12 days of Christmas.  I hope that this Monday, the second day of Christmas will be a very MERRY one at your house, it will be at mine.  

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

What fun to read this. Hugs

JeanJournal said...

Dear 'ma' You are amazing! and come up with such wonderful ideas of ENJOYING each day! All that I wanted for Christmas was to be healthy and happy!!! ~ and 'that' wish came true! (((ALSO ~ THE LORD BEING THE LORD! ~ I received many sweet gifts from my children!)) ~ MUCH HAPPINESS to you each day of your precious life. ~ JeanJournal(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun)

Buttercup said...

What wonderful days. Looking forward to seeing your celebrations for the rest of Christmas.

jack69 said...

Yeah, Girl, and I'd bet too, that you are loved a LOT!!!!

Always and education coming here. Thanks. Love ya and hope All continues to go well for you and that your days are SWEET until the New Year and long after.
From Sherry & Jack Down here!!!

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE this. Love it. We celebrate the TWELVE DAYS of CHRISTMAS too. We used to have a Yule Log every year or lit candles. Those ornaments are pretty meaningful. And that TALKING picture frame is so sweet. Hearing your grandbabies voices must be so heartwarming. Take care.