It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, December 23, 2011

Chapter 12, Page 23, Book 11


Love is like the wild rose-briar;
Friendship like the holly-tree.
The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms,
But which will bloom most constantly?

Emily Bronte

FANTASTIC Friday!  / The Holly and the Mistletoe and more

A sprig of mistletoe hung over a doorway during Christmas remains one of the season's most beloved traditions.  The custom of kissing under mistletoe was seen as a popular and accepted sign of love and romance. A woman could not refuse a kiss if she stood under a mistletoe, known as kissing ball, during the holidays

Legend has it that when Balder, the son of the Norse goddess Frigga was killed by an arrow made of mistletoe by Loki, an evil spirit, Frigga wept tears of white berries which brought him back to life. Overjoyed, Frigga blessed the plant and bestowed to kiss all who passed beneath it. 

The mistletoe was considered magical by the Celts, who lived hundreds of years ago in what is now Great Britain and France.

In ancient times it was customary for the visitor to kiss the hand of the host, signifying that the visitor has come in good faith. Since the mistletoe brings happiness, to kiss under it was a pledge of eternal friendship. 

In Scandinavia, mistletoe was considered a plant of peace, under which enemies could declare a truce or warring spouses kiss and make-up.

Holly is also used all over the world as a Christmas decoration.  It is a custom derived from the early Romans who sent boughs of Holly and other gifts to their friends

As with most other trees the Holly was revered for its protective qualities. When planted around the home it protects the inhabitants and guards against lightening, poisoning and mischievous spirits.  Luck was increased if a small branch was kept and hung outside of the house, there it would continue to protect against lightening.

Legend says one winter night, the holly miraculously grew leaves out of season in order to hide the Holy Family from Herod's soldiers. Since then, it has been an evergreen as a token of Christ's gratitude.

On the humorous side of things, I saw this cute joke yesterday and had to share it with you all

Christmas Nightgown

Looking in the mall for a cotton nightgown, I tried my luck in a store know for its hot lingerie.  To my delight, however, I found just what I was looking for.  

Waiting in line to pay, I noticed a young woman behind me holding the same nightgown.  This confirmed what I suspected all along: despite being over 50, I still have a very with it attitude.

I see we have the same taste, I said proudly to the 20 something behind me.
Yes, she replied.  I'm getting this for my grandmother for Christmas.

I am still smiling by the way....

In the spirit of the mistletoe and holly,  the emblems of love, forgiveness and protection,  I wish you all Christmas Peace.


Have a FANTASTIC Friday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

You Go Girl!...we're you in Victoria Secret..??

Enjoy

jack69 said...

hahahahahahaaha!
Thanks for the education as usual, and the laugh.
It is nice that we can laugh at ourselves by putting ourselves in the joke! hahaha!
MERRY CHRISTMAS from down here.

JeanJournal said...

ALWAYS keep that "with it" attitude. Ma! ~ We never get old enough to forget being young and in love with LIFE! ~~~ and ~~~ OH, what a teacher you are! Keep on SMILING! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun)~ Gotta go get some Holly & Mistletoe -:) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

JeanJournal said...

ALWAYS keep that "with it" attitude. Ma! ~ We never get old enough to forget being young and in love with LIFE! ~~~ and ~~~ OH, what a teacher you are! Keep on SMILING! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia Girl living in Calhoun)~ Gotta go get some Holly & Mistletoe -:) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

grammy said...

I had to get a gift card for DIL at V. Secrets...I told my husband he had to wait outside of the store (o:

TARYTERRE said...

LOVED hearing the legends about the mistletoe and holly. We had a holly tree that I adored. Was here for many years, then it just withered away and died? So sad. Had to chuckle over the nightgown story. Very funny. That spring chicken will be joining our ranks sooner than she thinks. LOL I'm having an MRI in Jan and doc will decide if I need surgery. It's not looking good. My meniscus is torn in both knees and arthritis is eating me alive. In case I'm not as visible around here in the coming weeks, I just want you to know how much I treasure the time I share with you, here on your blog. I love reading it. And I'm so appreciative of the time you take to read both of mine and comment. May your Christmas be blessed and happy. Take care, MA. Happy New Year too.